using bluetac to plug gaps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno

Not so new Member
Reaction score
heya guys
just wanting to know if i could use bluetac to plug gaps on the bottom of a fake rock. I know i could use silicon or something ele like that but i want to be able to remove it to clean.
any opinion would be great.
cheers

is the gap big enough for the snake to escape?? if not then i don't see any problem with putting this in unless you were housing somthing other then a snake and they could possibly chew on it and get sick??

its a fake rock in his enclosure that he gets under and never comes out.
i dont want him under it, so i want to plug the gaps between the floor and the rock

:p As long as the rock isnt heated i cant see a problem with bluetac,i have used it b4 to seal up holes on click clacks so tiny gex dont escape. :p

just want a simple fix
simple to do simple to remove.
the blutac will be covered in bc so the snake really wouldnt come into contact with it anyway
the fake rock is under the heat lamp
just wanted to know if blutac would let off any fumes or anything when warm

Just curious - why don't you want it to go under the rock? If it's happy there, why not let it? One of my spotted pythons seems to love sleeping under his water bowl! :)

To be honest I was thinking the same as Lusty. I don't think I'd use blue tack anyway as it gets very soft and gooey when warmed up and if the snake should come into contact with it it would make a mess of the poor bugga! Same as tape I would imagine when it peels off and leaves a sticky residue and gets under the snakes scales etc. JMO

Whoa, I reckon it would come under the same golden rule as sticky tape, ('dont use it') warm blutac is quite adhesive.
snakes sense with their tongue, if their tongue gets stuck they can lose their tongue and I have heard of them dying from complications.
Call me paranoid but it would be better to be safe and find an alternative.

OMG, use the bloody blutac, i've used blutac for years to fix fake plants to cage walls etc.
I've seen snakes crawl over it and stuff they never lost any scales or got a mystery skin disease or lost their tongue or chewed on it and glued their month shut or got it wrapped around their necks or died from fumes or got it stuck i their throat, everyone feel free to add anymore wild and far out one in a million possiblities. :roll:

I know it's good to be careful but come on
Everyone is gonna get up me but some people don't think to highly of their snakes ability and judgement.
I don't mean to be harsh, it's ok to try things yourself.

STP honestly do you think a snake is going to eat it or get it's tongue or it's self stuck? Blutac takes a bit of force to stick to stuff, it would be no different to tree sap or something in the wild.

I just think some worry way to much about possiblites that are so rare, it's the same as snakes dying from eating BC, it always happens to a friend of a friend or someone heard of it happening. Know what i mean?

yeah i understand where your coming from, but if theres a possibility, however remote of somethin happenin, wouldnt it be best to avoid (given i dont use light guards on some enclosers, use BC in one encloser, dont have a thermostat in one encloser) i myself wouldnt worry about bluetak in an encloser, but its still a possibility

i used blue-tac to fill the hole i drilled to put the thermostate prob in, my stimson has rub on it and nothing has happened to her.

(given i dont use light guards on some enclosers, use BC in one encloser, dont have a thermostat in one encloser)

I wouldn't worry about any of those things gloves old boy :) Well, not till I put snakes in them anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back