Using kitty litter as sibstrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are actual kitty litter pellets. I haven't seen the wood stove pellets but these are a bit thicker than a pencil and about 2cm long and they break down into a dust when they get wet

Yep that is exactly what wood stove pellets are. Compressed sawdust into pellets. They can be bought dirt cheap in large bags. That's clever, them remarketing as kitty litter and marking up the price.

Here is a link for some background reading on wood pellets:

Pellet Heaters Australia environmentally friendly home heating

Oooh thanks for that. Have to check out how big the price difference is. Oz-pet is fairly cheap but it sounds like these are even better

wow, those heaters sound awesome!
do you use one?

jackrabbit,...1 bag does about 4 4x2 foot enclosures, with 1 enclosure and 1 snake id say around a year per bag. (probably with some left over)

Last edited:
wow, those heaters sound awesome!
do you use one?

No, I know people who use them. They are an extremely efficient and cheap form of heat for a home. You dump a big bag (22 kg) of pellets into a hopper in the heater, then the heater augers small amounts into the burning chamber automatically so it doesan't have to be constantly attended like an oold fashioned woodstove.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind trying this, but I'm quick picky especially with the colour.. I like how the light colour of aspen shows my snakes colours better

ive been reading up n them since you posted that link, thanks for that!

im waiting to hear back from them re heater price, from what im reading 20kgs provides 30 hours of continual burning,.....could make this a very cheap and easy winter!! :p

the wood fireplace is nice, but too much work for weekdays!!

oh, plus i'd always have cheap substrate handy! :p

ive been reading up n them since you posted that link, thanks for that!

im waiting to hear back from them re heater price, from what im reading 20kgs provides 30 hours of continual burning,.....could make this a very cheap and easy winter!! :p

the wood fireplace is nice, but too much work for weekdays!!

oh, plus i'd always have cheap substrate handy! :p

You're welcome.

You could tell everyone you're heating your place with kitty litter! heheh

Just a question for the ozpet 20kg bags what size are the bags. The kitty' crumble bags are roughly 500x250x100 the kritters crumble is pretty light. I am trying to works cost difference. Cheers Daniel

theyre similar in size to the big bags of dynamic lifter at bunnings,..kinda big!!

and for anyone with cats... the ozpet litter with ozpet tray/siv... is bloody brilliant. wet pellets break down and fall into the tray below... leaving a dry/clean filter layer on top :)

i recently switched from breeders choice to marine carpet, i used it or a bout 5 months and my MD never liked to be on it, would always find her poo in her hide on her perch..i used to move her stuff in the enclosure then lay some newspaper down for when i feed her just a lil tip if ur worried of your snakes eating the pellets :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back