UV for snake do they need it

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stormus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello I need help do snakes need uv light I have a muray darling and am redoing a new enclosure for him and getting him out of the glass one he is in now to a timber one and I am wondering if they need uv he has none at the moment only heat light and heat mat I am also going to put 12 volt down lights as a heat source can any one help thanks

pythons dont need uv, the down light idea is a bad one, not enuff heat..

i am quoting from 'Keeping and breeding Australian pythons" and it says"pythons generally do not require high exposure the uv light,as they obtain the necessary vitamins and minerals from there prey items.However exposure to full spectrum lights may be benificial to pythons.U.V.A rays help to improve appetitie and normal activity in reptiles,while U.V.B are associated more with improved bone and skin growth"
that is a good explaination

Great info there snake pimp.
Most people will tell you that snakes dont require u.v. but realistically there is no proof either way.
Personally i keep all my snakes under uv lighting as really it cant hurt them,and its my opinion that as mentioned above it aids in appetite among other things.Another benefit to come from uv lighting is the way it dispalys the animals colouring which can only be a good thing for its skin and also bone growth.

G'day, I have a MUrray Darling Carpet python and she is quite large now, I have had her for years and I do not have a UV light. UV would be good but its not neccassary.

Thanks guys great help I will let you all know what I end up doing and will post some pic's when I am finshed thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back