UV lighting and heating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am just about to get my first pair of bearded dragons and i now have a tank for them but how can you place a uv light and a basking lamp inside 1 small completely glass tank? Do you have to build a wooden lid or is there another way? I just bought a book about them so i no all there specific repirements!

Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards Alex

yeh i would say place a wood plank across the top with the heatlamp and uv light mounted on it.
do you have any ventilation in that glass tank?
nev

Um no not at the moment. Could i just put holes in the wooden plank?

If you don't know what Greebs meens I can take a photo of an old lid setup I have kicking around here somewhere and post it for you. Will have to be tomorrow though as I have justr been called back in to work, BUMMER!!
Let me know if you need the pic

Aussie Sun Mercury Vapour Bulb, are these any good? I saw them advertised on the herpshop and they seem preety good, heat and uva/uvb lighting in 1 bulb.

Ether,

You can also by wooden hoods for your tank from the Reptile Barn in St Mary's. If it's a reptile tank (as opposed to a fish tank) they also have some mesh covers with metal borders that sit just inside the top of the tank.

Hix.

Its a 2ft long glass fish tank. How big should the UV light be, 18 or 24 inch? and what wattage should the basking bulb be? On ultimate reptiles they sell these special reflector bulbs but i have seen then in the supermarket and bunnings, is there any difference?

How big should the UV light be, 18 or 24 inch? Can some one please give me an idea to the answer to the question as i have to place an order into ultimate reptiles as soon as possible!

depends on where you are placing it in the tank there is no difference with output (i stock the same globes) it is just the difference in size

true but i was only refferring to the output not the penetration

ether said:
Its a 2ft long glass fish tank. How big should the UV light be, 18 or 24 inch? and what wattage should the basking bulb be? On ultimate reptiles they sell these special reflector bulbs but i have seen then in the supermarket and bunnings, is there any difference?

Am I missing something here. I think you have answered your own question. If the tank is only 2 foot you are gonna struggle to fit the 24 inch (2 foot) UV light in.

Yeh i see what you mean. Thanks for all your answers guys. Bunnings would stock baton holders and light bulb fittings, wouldnt they?
Thanx for the pick African it will be a great help when i start building it (hopefully this weekend).

Regards Ether

ah 2ft glass tank seem really small for a pair of beardies... if they are juv it may be fine but they grow up pretty fast and ya cant have 2 adults in a 2ft long tank...
nev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back