UV Lighting Question...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: UV Lighting Question...

thanks for the information too hey i never knew that hehe you learn new things everyday dont we

As I recall the stat comparing UV available from UV tubes compared to natural sunlight goes something like:

8 hours 200mm away from a UV tube is equivalent to less than 5 minutes of sunlight at the equator at noon.

I'm (guessing) they're not going to go to complete waste though as they could be used as a heat/light source for the snakies

As Simon said once, after oz brights are used up UV wise they make great heatlamps for monitors.

Any of these globes I replace will not be thrown out. Too expensive to do that ;) I will keep them as they are still good for various
applications. :)

I didn't think the 6 month UV rule applied to Ozbrights, only fluoros. Does anyone know for sure that this is the case? I thought being a mercury vapour bulb they produced UV all the time.

Hi all do you have to have a UV light in the box or will normal lights do.

your spot on hugster it is the process the OZ brights use to actually work that produces the UV from them, it is constantly producing, fluro's break down over time and cant reproduce that is why they need to be replaced

Take care
Matt

your spot on hugster it is the process the OZ brights use to actually work that produces the UV from them, it is constantly producing, fluro's break down over time and cant reproduce that is why they need to be replaced

Thats great to know :)

I am sort of with you.

To the extent that the OzBrights are similar to the Aussie Sun lamps sold by the Herp Shop I would have expected the UV output not to degrade significanly over time.

What could happen however is that the UV component could fail indenpendent of heating element. If this were the case the UV output would drop to close to zero but the lamp would still give off its rated output as heat.

hugsta said:
I didn't think the 6 month UV rule applied to Ozbrights, only fluoros. Does anyone know for sure that this is the case? I thought being a mercury vapour bulb they produced UV all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back