Varanus Tristis Tristis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driake

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Ive been on the lookout for some Black-Headed Monitors and cant seem to find anyone who currently has any that are breeding.

So was hoping to hear from those that do, That could shed some light on what there like in captivity.

Also it seems they will be hard to come by so was wondering if id be better off going for some Pygmy's?

Thanks Brett.

i keep them. if its your first monitor go for ackies or gillens.
Tristis can be very flighty and skidish. they dont like being looked at let alone handled.

Thanks for the reply tristis,

It will be my first monitor, The main thing that attracted me to the blacks were that they get a little bigger but after reading up on gillens they seem a better choice.

Do you keep any Gillens?

i dont keep gillens but lots of members on here do, just look at some of the old monitor threads they will have all the info you need.

There are tristis out there but I have not seem them come up for sale all that often.

Interestingly enough the last one I saw was at Upmarket Pets (Pet store in Melbourne) but I don't think it was tristis tristis.

As an aside, if you can make it this Friday's VHS meeting should have lots of monitor content. (A link to the details is in my sig below.)

keep an eye open, bigguy breeds them i believe but im not sure if he'll be breeding them this yr (have a look at his latest thread, list of animals he will be pairing this season). iv never had a tristis, nor any other class one monitors befor. some people recomend that you start off with a smaller ridgy or gillens, but i went straight to a belld phase lacey. never had an issue, as long as you know what you are gettinga nd the care and requirments of the animal and give them what they need the careing is fine. the reason why people recomend starting small is imo because they are easier to hold/handle and less likely to cause serious injury if they bite.
good luck mate, montors imo are the best type of lizard you will ever keep, great animals!!

Cheers Tristis, Ill look them up.

Thanks herptrader, Wish i was in victoria mate would be really interesting to see Dr Brian Fry.

keep an eye open, bigguy breeds them i believe but im not sure if he'll be breeding them this yr (have a look at his latest thread, list of animals he will be pairing this season). iv never had a tristis, nor any other class one monitors befor. some people recomend that you start off with a smaller ridgy or gillens, but i went straight to a belld phase lacey. never had an issue, as long as you know what you are gettinga nd the care and requirments of the animal and give them what they need the careing is fine. the reason why people recomend starting small is imo because they are easier to hold/handle and less likely to cause serious injury if they bite.
good luck mate, montors imo are the best type of lizard you will ever keep, great animals!!

Thanks Jason, Ill have a look at the thread, Yeah monitors really interest me and everyone that has them also says there great animals, Good on yah with the lacey lol they'd be pritty mad lol.
Im pritty sure i have a pair Tristis hatchies lined up to buy now :D

my adult tristis most of them have calmed to the point that they are hand feedable and you can do cage cleaning without bothering them but my male will activly attack me if he deams me to close....... on a side note my male wont leave my females alone atm and i just saw him copulating with the fat female so heres hopeing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back