venomous hatchling question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks-pythons

Reaction score
im looking at upgrading my license to get some red bellies and was wondering what sort of impact a red belly hatchling bite will have on me in the chance that it occurs. iv handles venomous snakes in the past but just wanted to know toxicity levels if that makes sence

cheers

i do treat all as lethal but its more of a what if and how long before effects kind of question. bad wording i know. sorry

Short answer jack is that no one will know how you will react to venom of any kind. Most people would get pain, swelling and possibly systemic effects but there can e complications.

Cheers
scott

if your asking these type of questions then i think maybe you should do some courses to help better equip yourself, the venom in most snakes stay the same from birth to adult, just quantity that varies. (well said scott)
Pseudechis porphyriacus produce a very painfull bite, much more so than an Pseudonaja textilis,
You dont want to get bitten by any, it is not just the venom you have to wory about, Anaphylaxis kills alot more people in australia.
Graeme

Short answer jack is that no one will know how you will react to venom of any kind. Most people would get pain, swelling and possibly systemic effects but there can e complications.

Cheers
scott

As Scott has said, reactions to various venoms are entirely individual. Some bodies will react only locally to a small envenomation, some can have a dramatic and life-threatening reaction to the same dose. Always remember that even if a snakebite doesn't kill you, it can have other serious lifelong health consequences...

Jamie

I got bitten by one a few years ago but was a dry bite. I must have startled it while moving a kids plastic pool it was hiding behind while drying vertically on some rock work.

P.S Red bellies don't have "hatchlings" ;)

Its a venomous reptile, Always to be treated with caution, and a baby would have the same potent venom as and older one?

Thanks for the kind words all. One of these complications almost killed me 7 yrs back when I was in a sorts of strife from a 'harmless' Elapid. Mind you the same bite would probably do little more than a swelling and pain to my 12 yr old son. Best bet treat all bites as potentially lethal, better off in a hospital if a delayed reaction occurs, or better yet don't put yourself in a position to be bitten.

Incidently the correct term for a juvenile snake born from an ovoviviparous species is generally neonate rather than hatchling even though these snakes hatch from a membranous egg sac.

Cheers
scott

My reaction to RBB bites was similar to that of a bee sting, mild swelling and pain for a few minutes then it was gone. Quick spray with F10. Then one day...

A bite to the finger saw my left hand balloon to halfway down the forearm and several days to go down along with a feeling of nausea and a headache which I put down to the heat on the day. A subsequent bite sent me to hospital where it was decided that I was looking at organ damage and tissue breakdown issues so anti venom was given. I was sick as a dog overnight. Something like the hangovers I had when younger.
Next time I cleaned out the red bellies I had breathing problems and my hands started to swell up and itch like crazy.

Most of this is down to my failure to appreciate not what I know about venomous animals but what I dont know. So from immunity to allergy.

In the end you have no idea what will happen if you are bitten.

You should treat all venomous snake bites as lethal.
You mean stop breathing and turn blue? I think you mean potentially lethal. ;)
If you keep hots you should have first-aid training ( I think this is required in QLD ). You also need a plan - preferably on a poster in the snake room - detailing in point form what to do in the event of a snake bite. And a snake bite kit.
Undoubtedly you already know what to do (pressure bandage,don't wash, stay calm, get help to come to you) but it would help other people who may be in the snake room ( kids, relatives, TV crews ) and are potential bite recipients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back