Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VDKs only indicate which type of anti-venom to be used ( there are only 5 types) NOT the type of snake, so if a YFWS bite goes bad then they would use brown snake AV, or, as in my case, use tiger AV for a marsh snake bite.
I would like to no more about the BHP bite returning a positive result.

when you say in your case, i assume you mean you were bitten, can i ask what sample they used to test it. we use blood at work but you can use other samples such as urine and the likes, i am uncertain whether any of the above are more accurate.

when you say in your case, i assume you mean you were bitten, can i ask what sample they used to test it. we use blood at work but you can use other samples such as urine and the likes, i am uncertain whether any of the above are more accurate.

We used to use urine on animals. When i was in hospital they didn't use a VDK on me, that's interesting...

The Whip Snakes look to be in great condition. With the amount around the one spot, Im sure there is a great food source there.

That Bredli is also a cracker, every now and then I see one that is a stand out animal.
Yours is a stand out.

Good luck with the eggs as well.
Cheers Andy.

VDKs only indicate which type of anti-venom to be used ( there are only 5 types) NOT the type of snake, so if a YFWS bite goes bad then they would use brown snake AV, or, as in my case, use tiger AV for a marsh snake bite.
I would like to no more about the BHP bite returning a positive result.

G'day Mark,

Are you saying you were giving antivenom for a Hemiaspis bite? Did the doctor treating you liase with any toxinologists (Bill Nimo, Julian White etc)? What sort of symptoms were you showing for them to administer antivenom?

Also, no doubt Scott knows how antivenom works. There's actually 6 types of Australian monovalent antivenom (Black, Brown, Taipan, Death Adder, Tiger, Sea Snake) and one polyvalent. VDK's aren't perfect, but they are accurate enough to warrant their place in the treatment of snake bite. Occassionally they will throw a very well publicised false positive - I know of a Pale Headed Snake testing positive for Black AV.

fuscus, how long did the pain last for from the swamp snake bite, I have had a similar experience with a swamp snake bite, I was bitten by a 30cm individual while moving it so we could get some shots of it, and it bit me on my finger, all I had was swelling then my hand went numb and my whole arm went numb and I could hardly move my fingers and also it hurt in my armpit. it lasted for about 2 days before all going away apart from the swelling which took another day.

Ryan

fuscus, how long did the pain last for from the swamp snake bite, I have had a similar experience with a swamp snake bite, I was bitten by a 30cm individual while moving it so we could get some shots of it, and it bit me on my finger, all I had was swelling then my hand went numb and my whole arm went numb and I could hardly move my fingers and also it hurt in my armpit. it lasted for about 2 days before all going away apart from the swelling which took another day.

Ryan
About the same but it took about a week to get full use of hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back