Ventilation for down lights need some safety advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read somewhere clearance for halogens was 200mm above and 200mm side clearance 200mm to insulation.Incandescent 50,100 and 50mm respectively.

With regard to whatever distances are correct are they written for unventilated areas such as bulkheads etc,with the exception of insulation?

AS3000 doesn't differentiate between lighting types. Just light fittings (luminaire). A recessed fitting with any sort of globe has minimum distances of clearance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg
This is the general Australian Standard. The other is IC class which is only NZ. The standards are AS/NZS 3000 these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting.So the general AS is redundant?

found the info where I read it from originally..AS/NZS 60598

That's interesting.So the general AS is redundant?

found the info where I read it from originally..AS/NZS 60598

That standard is used for testing fittings to ensure they comply with AS.NZS standards. The wiring rules apply to install. So AS/NZS 3000 is the bible as far as how you can install downlights.
There's a lot more to the standards than just the minimum clearances. eg, locations, requirements, warning signs, barriers, combustible materials and installation precautions where each topic has its own set of regs to follow.

What about GU10 fittings that don't recess into the roof but attach to it?
They would have to be earthed appropriately. And also be tested to Australian standards they would be installed with minimum distances to walls. They also still come under the many other regs I mentioned such as install locations, combustible materials (wood), general requirements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back