vents and sleepies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just building my shingleback enclosure and was wondering how big the vents should be, i was just thinking about this as they dont like high humidity?
Are the size of the vents very important when controlling the humidity??

Regards Alex

Just have the rice husks as a subtrate, and normal ventalation and i think u should b right. IMO!!

i use a large vent on the back of my enclosure.
a pegboard back works well!!
just make sure you can heat it properly

Are the size of the vents very important when controlling the humidity??
Yes. Smaller vents will trap the moisture in to an extent. I would recommend vents either end that are the same size as the ones you find in the wall of your house.

i'm going to put a vent on the roof at the hot end as well.. should work well to lower humidity. Also, anyone know where to buy rice husks in smaller quantities?

If the vents were too big wouldnt they be letting in moisture laden air from the room, particularly if you had an aircon going? I have regular vents about 5cm across, have no prob with keeping the humidity down. :)

shouldn't the husks do most of the work anyways? so normal sized vents wouldn't b a problem?

Is it best just too make more vents and just cover some up if need be, rather than making to few...

I live in Coastal Sydney so humidity will be a big issue for me.

IMO If you make the big, you can always sticky tape half closed in the colder months, however it is a pain in the ass to make the bigger, you need to find a balance to get the right humidity to, the bigger the vents the more arid the conditions... IMO anyway...

I use flyscreen, cheap and easy to staple on.

edit: LMAO i just read what ether wrote, sorry ether, i think i just repeated you lol.....

I use long vets top and botton. With the placement of the heat lamp you create an air current(only minor). Your main problem with humidity is if the air and moisture become trapped in the enclosure.

I saw a great design recently where the cage was on castors, the vents on the back and they had perspex on sliders to cover as much of the vents as required. Great for summer / winter settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back