Vey aggressive/defensive 4 ft red tail boa

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lisaxaphona

Reaction score
Hey guys.
So I am basically out of ideas for my snake. I will give you guys the whole story first. Please please help me out with this if you can, don't let it be a TLDR.

Back in the winter of 2008 (late November early December) my mother got me a baby red tail boa for my birthday. Everything was fine, I was very happy to have another snake (we've had boas, pythons, and corn snakes before). It didnt take long for me to see that whenever I would go to get her from her cage, she would act scared, and get into the striking position. This already would intimidate me, and I didnt like being nervous every time I tried to hold my baby snake (although I know now since she was a baby it should've gone away). After having her for a little over a month, she bit me (first time i'd been bitten by a snake) and it made me very scared of her, but I would still "be more aggressive than the animal" and go ahead and push through her striking and grab her (my dad's idea). Sometimes I would have her out and she would just randomly strike at me or somebody else, for instance she was on my bed and I was taking a picture of her, maybe holding the camera too close (no flash). Then she randomly struck at it. After a couple times of this happening, and about 7 bites from her, I decided I would sell her. So I sold her to one of my teacher's sons. Every time I saw her, she would tell me that the snake is doing very good and hasnt been striking or anything. I ended up moving from that town in the spring.
A year later, March 2009, I went back to the town to visit. I had to go to my old High School and say hi to my teachers. I came in the room of the one who bought the snake, and asked her about it. She told me how mean it was now, and that it is always striking, and has bit her son a couple times. I told them how sorry I was for selling him a 'faulty snake' :lol: just playing around of course. After leaving the town, I hadn't heard from my teacher or her son in a while.
Now, about a month ago, the son contacted me on facebook, and told me that he was trying to get rid of the snake. Talking to his mom on the phone, apparently he has been trying to take her out a lot and get her used to things, but she still is the same. The point of him giving up and deciding to get rid of her was when she struck at him and bit him right between the eyes. Keep in mind, she is almost two years old now, so she is almost 5 feet, and according to the son, 8 inches around. She is not that big, but big enough for her bites to be very painful now. So I told him I would look around my area and see about finding her a rescue center/zoo/home with experienced snake owners. Since the son is going to college in the Fall, he needed to get rid of her ASAP (his mother was NOT going to be taking care of such an aggressive snake).
So I told him I would take her until I found a legit place for her to go. So here I am looking around for info on aggressive snakes and how to handle them and if possible, lower if not all together exterminate her aggressive behavior.
So now I will tell you some things about her that could be making her this way

I cant help but to think I had played a part in her aggression. I hadn't really given her a lot of time to settle in her new environment before I was holding her. Although my mother had her as a pet before me (she wasn't living with me when I got the snake as a present) and she had told me recently that when she had the snake, it had struck at the glass a couple times.

When I had her, I would feed her one full grown mouse a week. So I dont think she was striking because of hunger.
Currently, she is being fed one rat every two weeks. This makes me wonder if he possibly wasnt feeding her often enough, so she would strike because she was hungry?

The time she seems MOST aggressive and prone to bite is getting her from her enclosure. When I brought her and aquarium into the house, after a little bit I lifted up the box she was under (I just HAD to have a glimpse of her, I hadnt seen her in almost two years) she already was all coiled up and looking like she would strike. I put the box down and left her alone. After about 6 hours of being alone, I decided I would try to hold her. I got on my jacket (for the long sleeves) and leather gloves. I was using a small rod to try to lift her out but she seemed to freaked so I just left her alone and decided to look around on the internet for tips on handling aggressive snakes. Then she decided she would try to climb out of the cage and explore (the lid was still off). After a couple minutes I decided I would grab her again, and since she was half in, half out of the aquarium, she wouldnt really be able to bite me. Once I did get ahold of her, she wasnt as scared/aggressive. She would stretch out and go through my hands and try to go up my arms (I kept her from going up my arms, wasnt ready to get bit in the face too) and she seemed fine. If I made too fast a move or I would walk to sit with her, she would kind of coil up, but she didnt seem like she would bite. All in all it was a pretty good handeling session, she was only out for about five minutes. But a reason why she didnt bite my hand could be because my leather gloves were pretty thick, and she probably didnt sense that they were actually hands she was on.

Basically, what I am really wondering is if there is any hope at all to tame her a little bit. Since she is older and bigger, I wasnt sure if you could. Kind of like trying to teach an old dog new tricks. My teachers son would tell me how he would take her out all the time though to try to get her used to being held, and he was very bummed when giving her to me that he basically failed at 'taming' her.

So if there is any ways to make her at least a little less aggressive, I would like to know!

Does this seem like an aggressive snake, or just a scared one?

Thank you for any input,

-Lisa

Attachments

• Photo0243.JPG
    Photo0243.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 180
hi your in Idaho usa.you guys are so lucky over there like some boas and ball pythons anyway i have an itimating snake too everytime open her encloser rares up in the classic strike pose but its mostly bluff but all i can recommend is patients and lots of it wear gloves on your hands before i handle mine lets her (smell) my hand first for lack of better exspression let her know im not a threat its a very long process but worth it to have a good calm tempremant last thing you want is a snake your scared of handling good luck

Thank you! I figured at least persistence would help a little bit. As long as every time I hold her she doesnt get eaten, you would think she would learn eventually that it's okay. And yes, im living in a good location right now, although the government does want to pass S373 - Python Ban. Basically bans all import export breeding and ownership of 9 different types of pythons and every type of boa ): Trying everything I can to let my senators know that the should not vote a yes.

Some snakes are just cage defensive - try using a hook to get her out, and regular handling sessions. Try to limit the handling to a few minutes to start off with, and then gradually increase the duration. If she seems quite stressed, then wait until she seems used to handling before increasing the length of the handling session.

Some snakes will always be prone to snappiness, but the more you handle her, the more you'll be able to judge her moods. Watch her behaviour closely, and you'll learn her moods.

Also, does she have adequate hides? Are the temps correct? Incorrect temps can affect the mood of your snake.

Well according to the thermometer, its always between 80 - 85 degrees in there. In the temporary enclosure she is in right now, she has a box basically upside down, big enough for her, and it is also over a heating pad. Which just made me realize that I should probably get another hide on the other side if she gets too warm. But as for this aquarium, she has just been in there a couple days. The family I got her back from had a pretty big enclosure, not sure how they kept it warm or moist (they built it with a bed on top somehow)

I will definitely take your advice though, and keep an eye on the temperature and humidity. Im thinking about possibly keeping her and seeing how things go after a while.

im unaware of US laws but are you feeding the animal live rodents or defrosted? If live, i would switch to defrosted or freshly killed rodents, much better for your snakes health if something goes wrong and it may help with the handling. hands are about the size of a nice sized rodent. like others have said too, possibly just cage defensive.

Some snakes are just cage defensive - try using a hook to get her out, and regular handling sessions. Try to limit the handling to a few minutes to start off with, and then gradually increase the duration. If she seems quite stressed, then wait until she seems used to handling before increasing the length of the handling session.

Some snakes will always be prone to snappiness, but the more you handle her, the more you'll be able to judge her moods. Watch her behaviour closely, and you'll learn her moods.

Also, does she have adequate hides? Are the temps correct? Incorrect temps can affect the mood of your snake.

+1. Good luck!

I just did a little reading, and from what I could gather, a basking site at around 90-95 degrees should be provided also. What's the temp inside the hide where the heat mat is? Make sure your heat mat is connected to a thermostat, or sits at controlled temperature. 80-85 is okay for the ambient temp in the cage, but give her a hot spot as well. The enclosure needs to be big enough to have a heat gradient (warmer end - cooler end). A hide in both the cool end of the cage and the hot end is good, so she can feel secure when she needs to cool down/warm up a little. Make sure you have two good thermometers - one near the basking site and one towards the cold end. You can also get fairly cheap digital thermometers with probes, and I always use one of these when first setting up but this is just personal preference as I find it quicker and easier.

Note: I have no experience at all with Boas, and have just been doing a bit of reading out of curiosity. Double check and research everything for yourself before making any changes. Forums are a fantastic source of information, but are not always reliable ;)

is she fed in her enclosure?
that could be why shes super 'defensive' in her cage as opposed to when shes out,..

If you've only just got her back (if i'm reading correctly), i would say try leaving her for a week with minimal disturbance to get used to her new environment. This may seem like a backwards step, but she is probably stressed out from moving to a new environment, and after settling a bit might be a bit more manageable.

Thanks, guys! I am feeding her frozen rats, and so were her other owners. I am not sure if she was fed in her enclosure or not, but I never feed any of my snakes in their enclosure. Im not entirely sure if it makes them cage agressive (there is always a bunch of people arguing over weather it does it or not) but I do it so they dont swallow dirt and debris. My ball python is a little slow, being from petsmart, and it sometimes takes a couple strikes for her to hit a mouse... I also had to teach her to wrap her body around it, even tho its not alive.

Anyways, it seems like the only thing I could do is just give her space right now, then try to work with her some more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back