Vic monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyA

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I live in southern Vic and would love a larger monitor, just wondering what would be the best suited to the climate here as heating to over 40 degrees would be way to expensive, I have 2 set ups I could use both indoors or outdoors, one an aviary 2.2m L x 2m H x 1.5m W and a mdf enclosure 2m x 2m x 1m, it's mainly to enjoy watching and the occasional handling, not everyday, and I can provide a little heat just not the scorching heat most monitors need, any help or opinions would be fantastic thanks

It's not very expensive to keep a single monitor happy down here mate. I am also in Geelong and I keep Gouldii without an issue. I supply a basking spot of 60+ via a 120watt Flood light and the animal is thriving.

Would recommend lacies though I'd say they'd require more room as adults??

I was looking at a lacy, they look sensational, just peoples comments on their temperaments turn me off a little

Yeah they can be quite dangerous especially with their claws, but any large monitor has the potential to inflict a great deal of damage. If you were extremely keen on them you'd be wise to ensure you're well read up on them, but mainly talk to people who've kept and bred them for years and have good experience with them, people on here like serpenttoungue for example, and I'd be looking at getting juvie to start with for sure. All the best with it!
Thals :)

Lace monitor I think it is, better off frying somthing I really want as it's sumthin I can take my time with and really enjoy as it will be with me for awhile,
Thanks for the input

Yeah they can be quite dangerous especially with their claws
Don't take this the wrong way, but my guess is that you haven't had much experience with lace monitors. Whenever I'm photographing wild lacies in a picnic area, members of the general public love to tell me about monitors because I have an accent (I grew up in Canada) and they presume I'm a tourist. The most common refrain is "you have to watch out for their claws!".

After working with lace monitors for a long while I think the real danger from large lacies is in their teeth. Unlike cats, they can only claw you only if you're already holding them (ie they don't take swipes at you with their claws), but a bite can come from all angles - because it's frightened, because you moved your hand too quickly or because you forgot to wash the smells off after handling food or another animal. Their teeth are razor sharp and they have a stupidly strong feeding response.

if you want a monitor mate your going to have to supply a much hotter temp then 40c, 60-70c is more suitable. Laceys may not need as much though since they do come from cooler areas but i'm not sure about that

I don't understand why you can't get high temperatures? Why is this such an issue?

Check out the ballerat wildlife park, they have lacies in an inside and outside enclosure. Someone on here told me they know someone whom lives in ballerat and keeps them outside with no heat.

I have a friend in Somerville who keeps them outside with no heat. They naturally occur down in Victoria so are more than suitable to be kept in outdoor enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back