Victorian lost reptiles home, Animals found

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

varanid_mike

Reaction score
Currently the Victorian lost reptiles home has found reptiles in the following suburbs and is looking to find the original owners.

Oakleigh
Doncaster
Cranbourne south
Research

If you live in these suburbs and have lost a reptile recently please contact:

Michael alexander
03 59619183
or
[email protected]

This is an interesting service! How many lost animals are "found"" each year by the Victorian lost reptiles home?

The number of reptiles and species found varies a lot, we get a lot of turtles at this time of year but most are wild animals that I end up relocating to nearby water ways. If I cannot find the owners after a period of time then the animals are either donated (to zoo's ect, schools or the VHS), sold (and the money used to fund their care) or very few a retained for educational purposes to promote the VHS or the lost reptiles home.
A large portion are injured, sick or have problems and as we are a shelter we personally retrieve all animals, treat and house them out of our own costs and support from donations and the VHS.

just out of curiosity, what is the most unusual animal you have found? and generally what are the common things you come accross, I am very curious, suppose there are not native pythons to melbourne which means all pythons would be lost pets.

All most all of the time people handle their pet turtles to some degree and the turtles are used to people, wild long necks (the only ones in melb) stink when picked up. the generally have moss on their shells and also the condition of the turtle and general behavior is a clue to working it out. location is important as well. We also take in displaced reptiles such as banana box snakes ect.

Water dragons, bearded dragons, stumpy tails and turtles are very common.
Before I personally ran the LRH I helped a friend with the retrieval of the animals and things like Lace monitors and sand goannas are very good at escaping and turn up at least every year. Boas, corn snakes, red eared sliders and tortoises have been picked up and are either dropped at the zoo or to the DSE.

So what you are saying is that you are keeping some of reptiles you find for demonstration purposes?....
.I would think that this would be a conflinct of interest...

.if they are suitable for demostration should'nt they be made available to other demonstrators for educational purposes as well?

Also there is a reasonable theory that Chelodina longicollis is NOT native to Melbourne and the pops in waterways are more likely escapees or deliberate releases.

Regards,
Scott

I have heard that the other person involved in the lost reptiles homes owns a pet store too....yet another conflict of interest in my opinion....by the way, as teachers of snake catching we have asked for a confirmation from the DSE of the status of the lost reptiles home in writing, this has NOT been given.

To those who doubt this service where would you turn to if you lost a herp?????
Ever considered that varanid_mike might be a registered shelter? What would the DSE do with these herps if they where surrended to them ummmmm be euthanaised.
they could just keep these knowing they are domesticated herps but no the call has been put out to all her on APS so where is that conflict of interest. Where does any money made go from the sale of any of these herps back into the program. I am a shelter and I out of my own pocket support many different speices of animals. both time consuming and financialy difficult.
If you have requested confirmation of this in writing clearly the DSE are aware of this program and find there to be no legalities and their lack of respnse is no fault of varanid_mike.
This is a fantastic program and is/will save many herps lifes.

While the concept is good, there are too many what ifs....

Perhaps if the program was more transparent it would be much better.....the other question is why should the VHS benifit, what about the VAAH? Why is the VHS donating to one wildlife shelter that is run by a committee member? Is this a conflict of interest.

A wildlife shelter independent of the VHS, demonstrators and pet stores should run such a program!

Last edited:
Can someone explain what the licencing arrangements are with this group? I doubt that in NSW something like this would ever fly so am curious if VIC accepts this.

While the intentions may be good, the system could easily be taken advantage of either intentionally or accidentally.

What should be done with reptiles that are clearly escaped pets or accidentally translocated from other areas (such as banana box frogs)? They can not and should not be released in the wild, so who is going to take care of them?

In NSW some of these animals may end up in wildlife parks or as educational animals used by wildlife groups but the numbers here are not large.

Rehoming is obviously a preferred alternative to euthenasia of course, but once a value is added to the animals then problems may arise with people taking advantage of the situation.

Perhaps rehoming should be allowed on a first time first served ballot basis such that people put their name down for the animals that they want and wait till their name comes up. All animals should be microchipped as being rehomed animals and as such not available for re-sale. The initial owner of the animal pays for the microchipping costs but cannot onsell the animal so that the animal has no value. The animal can be transferred to another owner but both owners need to declare that no money was involved.

It may sound good but who is going to police this?

Snake handler do I detect a little bit of jealousy? It best for the herps that are lost and found that they go to 2 people who are heavily involved in the herp world in Victoria and the 2 individuals are perfect for such a program. The only conflict of interest is people thinking that they are going to profiteer for having such a position and these 2 people have the lost or found animal at heart as their own business’s are already successful!

Can someone explain what the licencing arrangements are with this group? I doubt that in NSW something like this would ever fly so am curious if VIC accepts this.

While the intentions may be good, the system could easily be taken advantage of either intentionally or accidentally.

What should be done with reptiles that are clearly escaped pets or accidentally translocated from other areas (such as banana box frogs)? They can not and should not be released in the wild, so who is going to take care of them?

In NSW some of these animals may end up in wildlife parks or as educational animals used by wildlife groups but the numbers here are not large.

Rehoming is obviously a preferred alternative to euthenasia of course, but once a value is added to the animals then problems may arise with people taking advantage of the situation.

Perhaps rehoming should be allowed on a first time first served ballot basis such that people put their name down for the animals that they want and wait till their name comes up. All animals should be microchipped as being rehomed animals and as such not available for re-sale. The initial owner of the animal pays for the microchipping costs but cannot onsell the animal so that the animal has no value. The animal can be transferred to another owner but both owners need to declare that no money was involved.

It may sound good but who is going to police this?

I don't know what the laws are in NSW pertaining to this....however, I recently picked up a FREE coastal which was rescued from a warehouse in Camperdown...Again I am not sure of the exact laws surrounding this but was given a CALLID # to place on my DECC form and quote "unreleased orphan animal".

Again I am not sure but I doubt if I could ever sell this animal (not that I would as she is so friendly and good looking).

To be honest there may always be people trying to rort the system. (not implying there is any rorting going on) However, I still take my hat off to anyone who volunteers...If a non profit organisation can make a little money to offset costs then I dont have an issue with that per se. It would only be of concern if an individual was profitting from rescues or charity work in general. Individuals helping rehome lost animals do incur a lot of personal costs and time sacrifice. Perhaps before we start poking sticks at them we should probably try walking in their shoes.

Snakehandler there will always be a difference of opinions on how to run certain programs but again as stated monies raised go back to VHS which assest in the payment of medications, heating, collecting the herp(petrol time) etc these things all cost money and to be able to recoup any is benefical as the cost certainly add up.
You ask why the VHS and not VAAH. Why does Petstock support wildlife vic and not help for wildlife? the cricket supports pink ribbion day not daffidil day. This is the organisisation they choose to support so be it atleast it is helping our herps.

Also there is a reasonable theory that Chelodina longicollis is NOT native to Melbourne and the pops in waterways are more likely escapees or deliberate releases.
Regards,
Scott

what theory is that?
I'm 50 and for as long as I can remember there have always been eastern longnecks in the dams and waterways of the outer northern suburbs of Melb. I counted a doz in our dam last year ;)

We get lots of longnecks in the dams around the peninsula to but i have heard and it seems credible that the turts we get here have mostly been introduced and bred on their own.

Last year when it dried up i was called to a copperhead rescue and the dam on the property was exploding with longnecks, there were old whitened carapises strewn around from generations of turts being there.

I dont know about pops north of melbourne, they could be endemic to those areas, but down here the introduced theory makes sense due to natural barrier of the great divide which has slowed the progress of black and brown snakes here..., in theory
Cheers

Last edited:
Me personally making any type of profit of this shelter is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, unlike some not all things are done just for personal gain. In the last couple of weeks I have driven around Melbourne almost every day at ALL HOURS removing reptiles for the LRH with all costs (so far) coming out my own pocket. The VHS helps support the LRH so that animals are treated with the best care and not all costs have to come from myself. Let me make something VERY clear I do not get a cent for myself out of this; I do it because I actually love what I do and because I am a very suitable candidate for it.
Reptiles that are retained for use in promoting the LRH or VHS are not used in my own business and are not significant species of any dollar value. Considering I pay people to attend events for nothing to help promote the VHS and LRH then I think a turtle or stumpy tail is worth hanging on to continue to promote the proper keeping and welfare of reptiles.

I put the add up on the site because I want to find the owners of the animals I have found, If I lost some of the much loved animals we have in our own collection then I would hope there was someone doing the same.

I don't think I need to explain myself any further. If anyone would like to volunteer to help promote the keeping of reptiles or the shelter we run please feel free to contact me. Thanks to those couple of people who get it and support the hoby.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back