Wallabies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belinda

Reaction score
Anyone have wallabies for pets? What do you think of them? I am thinking of getting some...

I contacted them...They are $140 for tame, and $100 for not....And they can be kept on a basic licence....Whatever that is

I've seen ads down here for betongs (kind of like a pigmy wallaby) at about the prices Bel mentions. The fanua permit required to keep reptiles, also allows me to legally keep Western Gray Kangaroos, sugar gliders and seagulls should the fancy take me.

Like fuscus said...That he can keep Sugar Gliders....Which are also for sale on the site.

According to NPWS, "Mammal keeper's licence

The dingo is the only native mammal that is not protected in NSW. It is also the only native mammal that you can have as a pet without needing a licence from the NPWS or any other state government authority.

All other native mammals, including marsupials, are protected in NSW. It is against the law to take protected animals from the wild, and you must be licensed by the NPWS to be in possession of them. The NPWS only gives licences for people to keep two species of native mammal as pets: the spinifex hopping-mouse and the plains rat."

"The NPWS believes that animal welfare considerations are very important in the keeping of any animal as a pet. The housing and husbandry needs of many native mammals are not well understood by the general public. There are many issues to consider when assessing the suitability of a species as a pet. For example:

Some native mammals, particularly wallabies and kangaroos, are very prone to stress-related diseases. These diseases can be brought on by contact with humans, domestic pets (cats and dogs) and by human-generated noise or machinery movement."

All this and more can be found at http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/Content/Mammal+keepers+licence
and
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au...+mammals+like+quolls+or+sugar+gliders+as+pets

Also belinda, the site you were looking at was based in Victoria, Each state can make up their own laws regarding conservation etc. What is illegal is NSW may not be illegal in SA and so on

Right ok....Then how do they have Wallabies and how can they be selling them?

It says there in Victoria, and Fuscus said he could own Western Gray Kangaroos down there so must be able to keep other Marsupials too. Did you say you were from NSW, they might not have known, or they might not have payed attention to it if you did.

Yeah I said that I am from NSW and said I had a reptile licence.
They also said they have a truck coming by soon and I would hav to meet it to get the Wallaby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back