was it suicide or.... was there foul play???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was out there tinkering in my garage... as you do. When I do this the rodents talk to me and generally do their thing. It is a blokedom thing. I have a few tubs of mice and a few of rats. I try and look after them as well as I can. My rodents are kept as happy as I can possibly make them until d(inner) day and this it is a quick and painless dispatch as can be organised.

The rodents being grown to size have mouse/rat wheels which tend to go all the time. The mice in particular go at their wheels almost continually. I noticed this evening... while tinkering in my garage.... as you do, that the usual sound of spinning mouse wheel was not a happening thing :( Sometimes they mound up the shavings and it does not spin freely but this was not the case this evening.

One of the little mice was dead, caught between the wheel and the support.

Before I untangled him and added to one of the zip lock bags in the freezer I wondered to my self:

a) Was it an accident?
b) Was it suicide?
or
c) Was foul play at hand by his cage mates!!!!!

(His cage mates are all on death row anyway so your voting will not affect the outcome for them.)

oh :(
i think it was foul play!!!!! someone was jealous of his fab bod!

i think them mice wheels aren't good for them cause i too lost one good male breeder to a mouse wheel. i never use them anymore.

You need to get the wheels without gaps in them. Being mice, when one is caught in between the wheels, the other mice won't be aware of this and will still attempt to run on it and kill their inmates during the process. I think it was all three. It may very well have been a conspiracy....

Moosey, wicked avatar :D

I call foul play...he didn't pay his inmates protection fees and they necked him....

Its more sinister than that. if you had watched Oz on SBS you'd know whats going on.

africancichlidau said:
Well I voted for foul play as I believe you keep chickens too?

Nope - No chickens. We have some Zebra Finches which are really cute. They have been thriving since they got of D row.

Puppy said:
You need to get the wheels without gaps in them. Being mice, when one is caught in between the wheels, the other mice won't be aware of this and will still attempt to run on it and kill their inmates during the process. I think it was all three. It may very well have been a conspiracy....

This one is a cheap flimsy thing made of plastic. The mice have used it so much that they have worn the pivots to a large diameter. The pivots themselves have been replaced with nails (clouts) with a bit of raw plug over the pivot point.

Does anyone know where one can buy good quality mouse and rat wheels? The ones available in pet shops are cheap and flimsy and carry a very high price tag.

Just make one yourself, i dont think it would be hard with a little thinking.
You could use high speed ball bearings in the spinning joint, that'll stuff the little blighters. LOL

you can get wheels that are flat against the side of the cage, suspended off the ground, these are basicaly death proof

It was offered up as a sacrifice to Ushumgal the Reptile God by all the others in the colony. They were trying to appease Ushumgal because their numbers had been dwindling and they couldn't figure out why.

Greg.

actually my male mouse was housed alone when he died from the wheel i don't know how he did it but came home found him dead with the wheel caught around his neck.

Maybe he was trying to get a better look at the speedo spotted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back