water bowl melting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythonlovers

Reaction score
hey guys,
I'm wanting to replace the water bowls in our Gtps enclosures with bigger one so it keeps the humidity up abit more. im thinking about using plastic Tupperware containers and having it like a suspended water bowl on a ledge closer to the heat source to create humidity, as i stated above. i do spray them daily but i feel that it could be a more humid. what could i put around the plastic so it doesn't melt or will it be fine?

(p.s i didnt know what forum to put it in, this or diy)

For my boy, I use a large flat ceramic rock-like waterbowl sitting on top of a heat pad. It keeps my humidity between 60-70 at all times. I also mist twice a day. With GTP's in captivity, humidity requirements seem to be exaggerated quite a bit. Misting twice daily with a bedding that maintains some of the moisture but will dry out through the day. You have to make sure that the enclosure does have periods of being dry or you risk a respiratory infection.

yeah we spray them twice a day too but cause of the heat wave in vic it hasnt kept it up, and we are gonna have another 30 plus week this coming week so i was just getting prepared and try keep it up! that is all. and microwaves are very different...

cheers for everything tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm no...

Unless you've got something like a ceramic heater and it's in direct contact, it will be fine

Ummm yes,
Microwaves heat the particles of what's contained inside the receptacle.
Heat lights are inductive meaning it draws a direct current to heat.

If what you are saying is true I guess a container which is microwavable to boiling point (90-100 degrees Celsius depending where on earth you live) than it should be fine at the same temperature on a cooktop.

yeah we spray them twice a day too but cause of the heat wave in vic it hasnt kept it up, and we are gonna have another 30 plus week this coming week so i was just getting prepared and try keep it up! that is all. and microwaves are very different...

Any reason why you are spraying twice a day? Normally once every 2 or 3 days is plenty.

Ummm yes,
Microwaves heat the particles of what's contained inside the receptacle.
Heat lights are inductive meaning it draws a direct current to heat.

If what you are saying is true I guess a container which is microwavable to boiling point (90-100 degrees Celsius depending where on earth you live) than it should be fine at the same temperature on a cooktop.

Doesn't matter how it is heated, I was simply pointing out that tupperware is designed to tolerate higher temps than that of any snakes basking site.

I have to agree with ramsayi, twice a day sounds like overkill.

What are you using to gauge the humidity in the enclosure? Rather than spraying all the time and increasing the size of the water bowl you could add a few handfulls of damp sphagnum moss. I would get a hygrometer though, you don't want a gtp with a RI or water blisters. How old is the gtp?

i know see why i dont post threads on this website because people just jump stop to "your doing it wrong", "do it this way" blah blah blah, all i asked was a simple question because of the weather we have been having and the humidity hasnt been lasting at all, so i wanted to help them out by giving them more rather than let them go in a dry enclosure.
oh btw im not having a go at people, im just stating a point. i find it funny when people accuse things. :)

Doesn't matter how it is heated, I was simply pointing out that tupperware is designed to tolerate higher temps than that of any snakes basking site.
I think you will actually find that microwavable plastic is only meant to be heated for short periods of time or they do release nasties. So it kind of does matter how it's heated actually.

i know see why i dont post threads on this website because people just jump stop to "your doing it wrong", "do it this way" blah blah blah, all i asked was a simple question because of the weather we have been having and the humidity hasnt been lasting at all, so i wanted to help them out by giving them more rather than let them go in a dry enclosure.
oh btw im not having a go at people, im just stating a point. i find it funny when people accuse things. :)

Why so touchy? Do people these days not want info that may help? Besides I asked a question not accused you of "your doing it wrong".

I think you will actually find that microwavable plastic is only meant to be heated for short periods of time or they do release nasties. So it kind of does matter how it's heated actually.

So if it sits in an environment that is 32C (suitable basking temp for GTP) it will degrade?

So if it sits in an environment that is 32C (suitable basking temp for GTP) it will degrade?
Why would it "degrade"?
I'm sure if you actually took some time to read up on the materials used in microwave safe containers you would see that they give of vapors when heated for long periods of time.
I won't bother arguing with someone who thinks there is no difference in heating with induction and conduction.

And now I see why most of the experienced members of this site have stopped offering helpful advice and are leaving in droves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back