Water dragon hatchling - has anyone seen one like this? plus lace monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anguskennedy

Reaction score
Has anyone seen water dragon hatchlings that look like this before? I know it is definitely not special, but mine definitely dont look like that ( but mine are the only ones i have seen, so i dont exactly have a wide knowledge of what EWD hatchlings look like) , and i was just wondering if other people have seen hatchlings that look like this. Im pretty certain its an Eastern, not a Gippsland - if it is a Gippsland, its way out of its supposed range.

IMG_5036.jpg

Also this is a Lace Monitor we saw while we were out today, one of two. They were both very cool, and fairly nicely sized - about 1.5m. I thought this one was a girl (just a hunch), any ideas on what sex?

IMG_4962copy.jpg

i would say it is a rainforest dragon but correct me if i am wrong...

Do forest dragons come down as far south as Moruya? (below Batemans Bay)

The site where i saw it was inland about 30-40km from the coast near Moruya.

not a forest dragon, they only go to wollongong and a forest dragon has a large crest, different shaped head and different bidy and tail shape, you may have found a new species of dragon as ive never seen anything like it before

Yeh i didnt think it was a forest dragon, it definitely has a textbook water dragons body shape, but there is limited patterning, even for a juvenile. Probably just a particularly plain colour morph or something.

I think its quite interesting though, with that those two odd patches on its head.

Haha not at all - i scrambled after this one, it was running along side the car so i jumped out and pelted after it.

Lacemonitor2.jpg

It promptly ran up a tree, but i got a good look at it from about 2-3m away before it went up higher and i took the photo. I decided after seeing its claws that i was glad i didnt get it - haha.

Forest Dragons don't come as far south as Wollongong. It's a Water Dragon, possibly a Gippsland Water Dragon as i'm fairly sure they come up more north than what most think.

The Lacey is probably male. Males are much larger, more bold and more often seen. Females tend to be more secretive.

looks like a eastern water to me but i don't know mucha bout water dragons but i have some hatchies with the same sorta colouration

Sh.ite thanks for posting more pics of lacies, angus, blood serpenttongue never shuts up about them. I will never hear the end of it now today ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back