WC juvi diamond dilemar.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

da_donkey

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Two nights ago "a Friend" of mine was driving along on his street, and saved a juvinile diamond from certian death on a very busy road (traffic and cats).

He took it home and got a couple of crapy pics on a camera phone (so No there is no pics). And gave it a couple of mice to fatten him up.

The dilemar he then faced was;

A) release it back where he found it, in a very densly populated area, only to wind up as a cats dinner, road kill or in somones fish tank. (he hasn't seen a wild one there in 10 years).

OR

B) Drive it 20min's north to a gorgeous national park, (which he has seen many diamonds in the wild) and release it there.

It was not a clear cut decision, and i just wonder what other people think.

Take the drive and release it, no real hard decision to make really I wouldn't think. Amazingly he could get into real trouble for saving it's life.

release it where he found it, but off the busy street of coarse. sounds harsh, but he could be destroying another snakes habitiat by intruducing a new snake.

what national park is this da donkey?Thanks

olive, it was fraiser park (Snapper point) national park.

And yes soulweaver i understsnd your comment, as well as the fact that if there was one wild diamond there there could have been more and moving it would hinder possible breeding in that area.

"my Friend" wayed up the pro's and con's and released him in the Nat park.

And it was a tough decision.

Very wrong, but the decision was obviously made with good intentions. I forget the exact figure, but something like 96% percent of snakes released more than 1km from where they were caught die within months. Someone here should have a pdf copy of the paper.

Also, releasing into another habitat may promote the spread of disease!!

Not seeing a wild one in the area for 10 years means squat. I know people who have lived in pristine diamond habitat for over 15 years and seen only one!

It should've been released as close as possible, in the best interests of the snake and the environment.
Usually, this just means walking off the road into the nearest patch of bush etc.
I've been told that less than 2 km is best, absolute max is 20 km!
Not 20 mins!

This is for many reasons.
Some being:-
a) interfering with the gene pool
b) spreading disease (as Brodie said)
c) disorientation :!: - snakes know their territory extremely well and their survival depends on it.

Radiotelemetry studies* of Diamond Pythons reveals that they repeatedly use the same logs etc.
The home ranges of adult male Diamonds, averages 43 hectares (max. 103 h.).
Adult females average 17 hectares, with a max of 52 hectares. (*Slip & Shine 1988).
This would be considerably less for juveniles.

Although the intentions may be noble, thinking it's in the best interests of the snake etc., it's not the best thing to do (IMO).

Also, how's the local population going to build up, if good meaning people cart them away to a place where the population is strong; where it's going to displace (by increasing competition) the locals.

Brodie said:-
something like 96% percent of snakes released more than 1km from where they were caught die within months. Someone here should have a pdf copy of the paper.

:?: Does anyone know where to find this paper?
It sounds interesting and relevant.

zen

Probably the best thing for the snake would be to keep it - if it is likely to die when relocated at the nearest NP and likely to die if left where it was, just bag it - no point feeding the cats or cars and your mate will have a lot of enjoyment knowing he was protecting the wildlife. He should be applauded.

Sten

i would have to agree with sten, i have saved animals from area's where local relocation would mean certain death, yet releasing into a NP is just as dodgy, there should be a centre that looks into re-homing wildlife when no easy solution (for wild release) is available.

:lol: So according to what I have read in this thread we must release an animal aywhere from a few metres to 20 k's away from where it was found :?:
While I don't doubt that this paper exists claiming that 96% of relocated animals die within months my question would be how on earth do they know ?

If we take every animal that looks like it might have a tough time from the wild we wont get them repopulating areas where they existed before. Theres no reason for diamonds not to be living in medium and low density housing areas. There is always the down side, even in protected areas.
The rule in NSW is within 20k of capture point but common sense isnt precluded from this.
I try and drop the animal within 500m and in some case will drop animals back in the garden as I leave. Others dont get the luxery and end up as pets.

Personally I would release the animal NO more than 5km from where found, as close as possible to where found infact. As brode said, when relocating animals to far you can end up introducing protozoans and other nasties that arnt found in that area. Very bad idea indeed.
Carpets and diamonds thrive in suburban areas as we attract many rodents to our homes.

Boa, ever heard of radio tracking mate?

from memory the paper was done by the shine lab, but dont quote me on that.

Comeon, someone here has to have a pdf of the paper... what about you wires blokes?

Gotta agree with Rock.... Even though there are many predators or dangers in suburbia... They have lived in suburbia happily because of the rodents that we humans attract with our waste etc. I also can see the side of removing it to a National Park.

But as for Taking it home... No, not for me... It is illegal isnt it. I dont want or need that attention around me..

The only paper that Ive actually sighted was on then relocation of brushtail possums in Victoria.
Im think your right though but its probably a Phd so lost in the bowells of some uni library now.
If I was a wires bloke maybe I could be more informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back