Weird hatchling behaviour.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDeDah

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got a stimsons python a few weeks back, and everything was fine up until a week ago. He feeds every saturday and every wednesday on a pinkie. (he is approx 3 months old). About a week ago he started acting very quiet and doesn't even come out of his hide at night (he used to come out during the day as well). It usually takes him 5 or so mins to down a feed. I have given him around 5 feeds with only about 2 poos. But their have been seperate wees. I tried to feed him about 15 mins ago and like I said it takes him about 5 minuets to swallow a feed, but he latched on, constricted and stayed like that for 15 minuets and didn't even attempt to swallow. When I picked him up all this sticky stuff was on the mouse( like saliva) and he still wouldn't let go. When I started unravelling his body from the mouse he let go for a second, but it was enough time for me to get the mouse out (I didn't pull the pinkie out, cause of his teeth). Is it normal for that to be happening? Temps are 28 cool end, and 33-34 warm end. Humidity is 65%. I'm new to all of this snake stuff... Thanks NAomi

Sounds pretty humid if u ask me. 65%? I know GTP's need humidity and more than that but I'm leaning towards 65% being way too high.

Where do u live???

Just feed him once a week. Everything there sounds ok. Instead of continual feeding a few days apart, give him a week to digest and then start looking around for more food. Even two pinkies at a time once a week if he will take two.
he may go off the food if he is going into a shed cycle too, which can go for 10-14 days. Generally don't feed through this time, then when they shed they are pretty ready to get going and feed straight away.

Every snake is different. I have had snakes 'latch on' for what seems like ages before even attempting to swallow. Why? I have no idea maybe they are relishing the meal maybe they are simulating killing a live feed. I certainly wouldn't be concerned. If his behaviour is changing maybe he is going into shed? I wouldn't be overly concerned with this :)

Just feed him once a week. Everything there sounds ok. Instead of continual feeding a few days apart, give him a week to digest and then start looking around for more food. Even two pinkies at a time once a week if he will take two.
i was thinking the same as above ^^^
I have a pair of stimmie hatchos the same age as OP and im feeding 1 pinkie mouse every 7 days and I was planning on going to 2 pinkie mice for each snake at the next feed.

I also feel that at times a snake will attack a prey item, coil it, and then draw warmth from it, not swallowing for a while. This is why temps are important.

Last edited:
I also feel that at times a snake will attack a prey item, coil it, and then draw warmth from it, not swallowing for a while. This is why temps are important.

That would explain it... I had the heat mat turned off for an hour or so and the mouse was REALLY! warm lol. Maybe he is just coming up to a shed I guess. I will just feed him saturdays from now, is that ok?

Not sure of the size of a Stimmie to Spotty, but my Spotty is 9 weeks old and easily taking fuzzy's. She is nearly ready to shed so has not eaten for a little while, but prior to that she was downing a fuzzy every 5-7 days.

If yours is able to take a fuzzy it might be worth upsizing and feeding less regularly rather than feeding 2 pinkies - there is more nutritional value in a fuzzy due to it being more developed than a pinkie.

I am unsure who much smaller a Stimmie is compared to a Spotty tho....would imagine the size would not be hugely different, particularly given that yours is a few weeks older than mine.

As above, i have the brother and sister to Roberts Spotty and they absolutely smash fuzzies now every Saturday and still look for more, so i would say an upsize to a fuzzy every week is now warranted, you will probably see a big diff in it's behavior........................................Ron

My diamond gets quail from Baden, and never eats until they are extremely dead...ruptured, bleeding and..you get the picture. Can take an hour from latching on to actually swallowing.

Thanks for the replies! umm I'm not sure if a stimsons hatchling would be able to swallow a fuzzie. He is only about 1cm wide at the biggest part of his body. How much bigger is a fuzzie compared to a pinkie?

U doing ok...Just feed less but more so feed every 5/10 days what ever suits but give it x2 rather than 1..........and dont forget it wont be long till ya stimi may slow down on feeding due to winter tho being a hatchie they dont normally 1st yr.........
^^^^^^^ As Ron also stated is a good way of going about it

Good new everyone! He shed last night :D Just a quick question, what is the shed meant to look like? It was all dry, except for the head bit, that is rolled to just past the neck and reeks lol. I think that is normal but how do I see if he has retained eyecaps?

Hi guys, I got a stimsons python a few weeks back, and everything was fine up until a week ago. He feeds every saturday and every wednesday on a pinkie. (he is approx 3 months old). About a week ago he started acting very quiet and doesn't even come out of his hide at night (he used to come out during the day as well). It usually takes him 5 or so mins to down a feed. I have given him around 5 feeds with only about 2 poos. But their have been seperate wees. I tried to feed him about 15 mins ago and like I said it takes him about 5 minuets to swallow a feed, but he latched on, constricted and stayed like that for 15 minuets and didn't even attempt to swallow. When I picked him up all this sticky stuff was on the mouse( like saliva) and he still wouldn't let go. When I started unravelling his body from the mouse he let go for a second, but it was enough time for me to get the mouse out (I didn't pull the pinkie out, cause of his teeth). Is it normal for that to be happening? Temps are 28 cool end, and 33-34 warm end. Humidity is 65%. I'm new to all of this snake stuff... Thanks NAomi

Why were you interfering with a normal feeding process by unwrapping the snake from the food item and removing it from the mouth? It's not weird at all for a python to wait, sometimes an hour or two, before starting to swallow a meal. It's good that you are asking questions, but it seems to me that you have a fundamental lack of understanding of reptiles, and should have done a lot more homework BEFORE you got your snake. I believe more snakes die from novice overmanagement than neglect.

Jamie

Not sure of the size of a Stimmie to Spotty, but my Spotty is 9 weeks old and easily taking fuzzy's. She is nearly ready to shed so has not eaten for a little while, but prior to that she was downing a fuzzy every 5-7 days.

If yours is able to take a fuzzy it might be worth upsizing and feeding less regularly rather than feeding 2 pinkies - there is more nutritional value in a fuzzy due to it being more developed than a pinkie.

I am unsure who much smaller a Stimmie is compared to a Spotty tho....would imagine the size would not be hugely different, particularly given that yours is a few weeks older than mine.
Thanks for the replies! umm I'm not sure if a stimsons hatchling would be able to swallow a fuzzie. He is only about 1cm wide at the biggest part of his body. How much bigger is a fuzzie compared to a pinkie?
In my case a pinkie mouse leaves a nice sized bulge and like Naomi said they are very thin at their widest part so I will personally be going onto 2xPinkie mice before upsizing.

Why were you interfering with a normal feeding process by unwrapping the snake from the food item and removing it from the mouth? It's not weird at all for a python to wait, sometimes an hour or two, before starting to swallow a meal. It's good that you are asking questions, but it seems to me that you have a fundamental lack of understanding of reptiles, and should have done a lot more homework BEFORE you got your snake. I believe more snakes die from novice overmanagement than neglect.

Jamie

If you research around the net, no where does it say you can't unwrap the snake from a food item. It is my first reptile and I may not be as experienced as you, so don't jump to conclusions. I'm pretty sure taking a mouse off a snake isn't going to kill it! Also he shed a day after I posted that so he probably wouldn't have eaten it anyway. Sometimes it is better to teach someone what they are doing wrong, and how they can fix it, instead of saying, you have done no research and your snake is going to die. Cheers Naomi. (Also if you read what I said, didn't take the pinkie from its mouth, it let go.)

Last edited:
If you research around the net, no where does it say you can't unwrap the snake from a food item. It is my first reptile and I may not be as experienced as you, so don't jump to conclusions. I'm pretty sure taking a mouse off a snake isn't going to kill it! Also he shed a day after I posted that so he probably wouldn't have eaten it anyway. Sometimes it is better to teach someone what they are doing wrong, and how they can fix it, instead of saying, you have done no research and your snake is going to die. Cheers Naomi. (Also if you read what I said, didn't take the pinkie from its mouth, it let go.)
Stimmies can be very shy litlle snakes so taking its mouse from it could indeed kill it if it leads to it being too stressed to feed. None of the research would say that as I don't think it would need to in the majority of cases. I have never ever heard of anyone unwrapping their snake from its prey because it was holding it for too long. It let go because you stressed it out. I have a stimmi at the moment I am trying to get eating again for someone and believe me, it is the last thing you want to happen. Also, researching on the net is not always reliable, get hold of an actual book or two.

Stimmies can be very shy litlle snakes so taking its mouse from it could indeed kill it if it leads to it being too stressed to feed. None of the research would say that as I don't think it would need to in the majority of cases. I have never ever heard of anyone unwrapping their snake from its prey because it was holding it for too long. It let go because you stressed it out. I have a stimmi at the moment I am trying to get eating again for someone and believe me, it is the last thing you want to happen. Also, researching on the net is not always reliable, get hold of an actual book or two.

Thanks for the information, I had no idea that could happen... He ate a few hours ago so all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back