Weird place names

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was processing new memberships today, and we got one from a guy in Kamloops, British Columbia.

Where do they get these names from????? :)

I remember when I first moved to New South Wales and came across a few funny names, such as Tumbi Umbi, Kangy Angy, Rooty Hill, Howlong......

Just wondering if any other members live in places with weird or interesting place names?

Diaper (spelling?) in SA is funny. I think there are a couple of towns by the name of Mullville or something. Harrow in Victoria is sort of funny.

Melbourne used to be called Batman! I think they should have left it :)

Humpty Doo in the NT is another good one.
There is a place near Tumut called Killimicat which probably has an interesting story behind it.

Kanloops, been there briefly recently, its where Kevyn and his Mysticalfriend (sorry cannot remeber right nickname) live. I road into Kanloops station at about 6.30 pm on the famous Rocky Mountain Express and then had to race to our hotel and then to the 2 Rivers show which did not finish till after 10.30 pm and we left at 6am the following morning. So I did not get a chance to see Kevyn and his amazing collection.

But I do have 1 picture of Kamloops station. Other places try: Ketchikan in Alaska, or Chicken in Alaska (named because the locals wanted to call it after their national bird, but could not spell its name.)

'Watanobbi' always makes me giggle in a schoolgirl like fashion.

"Watanobbi?"
"Oh you, *girlish giggle*"
:lol:

Chilliwack, British Columbia where our 3 children were born. Canadians pronounce it 'chilewack', where as our 'master of ceremonies' from 'Can berra' :wink: pronounced it Chillee wack when reading out the wishes from our friends during the speeches at our wedding in St. Adolphe, Manitoba, Canada ...the group had a bit of a laugh from that pronounciation. Mind you we Canadians have a bit of a chuckle at the way some places are pronounced here in Oz... :shock:

How about:

Llanfairpwllgwynchigogerichllantisilioggogogoch ? By the way I am not 100%sure I spelt that correctly, there may be another "h" in it :)

From memory the longest place name in Australia(and forgive the spelling) is lake cadabarrawirracanna. It's near Lake Eyre somewhere

I drove past a Wantanobbi sign last weekend. No one else in the car found it funny. I'm glad other people out there see the humour. :)

near molesville in victoria there is a plase called Yarck. both are quite funny

there's also that great outback town mentioned in one of Kevin Bloody Wilson's songs, Kickacoonalong.

Woodenbong, in the north eastern hinterland of NSW. Close to Nimbin and Byron Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back