weird shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Reaction score
Hi all can some one please let me know if this is normal or not,My female diamond who is 17 months old shed two weeks ago(24.7) and has milky eyes allready,she has only ate once since her last shed refused food a couple of days ago,
I have only had her for a month so i don't know what her previse shedding cycle has been.
I'll say my thank's now .
phantom :)

With out trying to alarm you, it doesn?t sound normal, at least I haven?t heard of it before.
I have two DPs about the same age.
Why not get in touch with the breeder you purchased her from, if it was only a month ago?
Get some more info on her previous behaviour
If some of our more experienced members can?t shed any light on it for you, at least ring a Vet and ask for advice.
Good luck
Cheers Artie

I had a python do that and it freaked me too, Ive never found out if it is normal or not, but the snake is doing fine and sheds regurlarly now.
with mine, the first shed was a drama and took a while - the second shed as one skin.
mine was only about 4-5 months old, which imo is more likely to occur than in an animal 17 months old.

Do you 'power feed'?

shedding again already....

hi, you might check carefully for mites. They usually come out at night, but during the day you might see tiny white specks on your snakes skin, this is mite poo! also look carefully in the water bowl, if your snakes spends alot of time there some mites may drown, tiny reddish specks.
snakes sometimes shed more reg than usual to rid themselves of mites etc. is the snake growing fast? if so this might be normal. If you suspect a mite problem, ask here, everyone is very freindly and can advise of best treatment. ~danno aka Omo

Hey Phantom,
I would not stress mate. I have had this happen a couple times with snakes in the past. The first time it happened I took my snake to the vets because I was thinking the same thing. The vet simply put it down to a growth spurt.
AS already suggested, have a good check for mites though.
But as you said her eyes are milky, it will probably be another week before she actually sheds. So 3 weeks between sheds for a juvvy is really nothing to worry about.

Thank you all. I had a close look at her with a magnafing glass ,could not see any mites, So ill just keep an eye on her for now and .wait for the shed. :p

Yeah. Wouldn't worry too much. There are lots of things that can cause a rapid succession of sheds. Mites or other external parasites, injury, a vitamin A overdose, or most likely, like Greebo said, a growth spurt. Seeing as you have only had this snake a short time, it's hard to say unless the last owner kept good records, and passed them on to you. Best bet, start your own, and go from here. I would say if she goes again real quick like, consider a trip to the vet. Other than that, don't worry.

Yep. Could even be just that she is stressed from the move. My small Stimmies shed every 4-5 weeks at the moment, I know yours is a diamond but I'm just saying 3 weeks isn't that close really. I had a coastal shed 2 weeks apart once when she had had a couple of big feeds prior to the first shed. Sort of like the first shed didn't make her skin big enough so she shed again straight after without eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back