Weird snake behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 1/2 year old children's python. We feed her every week. She didn't eat last weekend, and hardly moved from the one spot all week. Today, I fed her two fuzzie rats, which she took and ate EXTREMELY slowly. When I opened the enclosure to offer her a third fuzzie, she arched right up, and started striking at it insanely, but never actually touching it. She struck about three times, then overbalanced and fell over, then got up and kept striking. I dropped the rat in the enclosure and closed it up. She then proceeded to rub her head around the ground, with her head perpendicular to the ground. (sharp bend in her neck). The other snake didn't seem at all fussed by me. ( It is in another enclosure next to her).

Is this behaviour normal? What could be wrong with her?

NB: She is quite small, as she didn't eat through Winter.

My snake rubs his nose on the ground like that when he is 1) Shedding or 2) Rubbing any excaped mouse or rat fluids off his face.

does it look like its about to shed, sounds very much like its going to shed very soon

That makes sense then. Any explanation for the crazy striking or the lack of movement. The cage has been a constant 28*C. Would she react to me wearing a white leather glove? I've used it a few times before, but not often.

Ok. Thanks for that, all very reassuring. How can I tell when she has had enough to eat though? Sometimes she wont eat for a few weeks, and other times she will eat 3 every week for a couple of weeks. Any easy way to tell?

whats the hot spot at? i dont know how big but 1 meal that leaves a visible lump once a week would be fine i assume your 2.5 year old would be on atleast a adult mouse or weaner rat.

Bump up your temps so you get a warm spot of 32 degrees, hopefully should eat every week then. 28 is a bit cold remember snakes need heat to help in the digestion of food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back