weird snakes :0

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_brown

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hey guys as some of you know i got a bredli on friday and it is my stimmies feeding day today so i thought u know what ill get a weaner for the bredli too so i tried feeding the stimmi but just didnt wanna eat didnt even suss it out showed no interest WHAT SO EVER... so i left the mouse in the enclosure and moved onto the bredli before i could even open her click clack she started to smell the mouse all i did was open the enclosure and BAMMMM went for it ( and i was like okay thats weird she doesnt seem stressed out at all so must have settled down really well...so i chuck her back in the enclosure went and ate dinner and came back and all i see is the bredli stairing at the rat ( stimmie not showing any interest at all ) so i was like u now what i might try and feed the bredli that mouse once again all i had to do was open the click clack and BAAMM he just went for it... so is it weird that my stimmie isnt eating and my bredli is... my stimmie is very stubborn tho :D

I've always noticed thast bredlis are greedy gobblers. First night I had mine BAM! Grabbed a mouse within the first few seconds of opening the enclosure. Chugged it down and still wanted more despite the nice bump in her belly...All my others are usually more patient and suss out the mouse, smelling it, flicking tongue etc. Lets just say, never stick your hand in the enclosure come night time....

Make sure the mouse is warm enough.... it should feel warm in your hand.... otherwise the snake cant detect it as food. One of my macs looks at its food like I am offering it a radioactive dog doo doo rolled in iron filings if the food isnt warm enough.... then when I heat it up to about 40c he smashes it :shock::lol:

ahahah probs lol :p

- - - Updated - - -

well ratbag what i normally do is keep it in like warm tapwater for around 20-30 mins and then just after i take it out i chuck it in boiling watar for around 4-5 seconds then feed it

well ratbag what i normally do is keep it in like warm tapwater for around 20-30 mins and then just after i take it out i chuck it in boiling watar for around 4-5 seconds then feed it

If you have a laser thermometer just heat the water to about 40 degrees c, then keep topping up the water with hot water to keep bringing it up to the 40-42 degree mark.... that way the mouse/rat will be 40ish degrees all the way thru, not luke warm in the centre and temporarilly hot on the outside. Also, if you use a container with a lid, the water stays warmer longer...... I find if I use a container with no lid, the water is luke warm in no time

Thats what I do, works really well :)

I recently bought an infared(laser) thermometer. They are wonderful. So much better than the cheap ones I had before.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't worry too much about the stimmi. She will probably be hungry in a few days.

I've always noticed thast bredlis are greedy gobblers. First night I had mine BAM! Grabbed a mouse within the first few seconds of opening the enclosure. Chugged it down and still wanted more despite the nice bump in her belly...All my others are usually more patient and suss out the mouse, smelling it, flicking tongue etc. Lets just say, never stick your hand in the enclosure come night time....

i have 2 20 month old bredli and they are feral come lights out, if i have to do any work with them after dark i gotta get them out with a hook weather they are well fed or coming up to a feed.

i have 2 20 month old bredli and they are feral come lights out, if i have to do any work with them after dark i gotta get them out with a hook weather they are well fed or coming up to a feed.

hmmmm... sounds like my woma. I always use a hook to get him out. Anything in the enclosure is food including my hand, but once out he is an angel.

Stimmi's are well known for randomly going off food and then starting back up again. As mentioned just try again in a few days or so and see how it goes. :)

Make sure the mouse is warm enough.... it should feel warm in your hand.... otherwise the snake cant detect it as food. One of my macs looks at its food like I am offering it a radioactive dog doo doo rolled in iron filings if the food isnt warm enough.... then when I heat it up to about 40c he smashes it :shock::lol:

CR, your third comment re: the snake not recognising a rodent as food if it's not warm is not quite true. Smell and sight also play a big part in food detection for pythons - if you offered a snake a piece of plastic warmed to 35-40C, and completely devoid of rodent odour, I wonder it if would go for it? I have several snakes here that will take room temp (cool or cold) rodents without fail. Certainly temperature contributes to the appeal of food, but captive bred snakes are used to a wide variation in feeding techniques, and seem to survive OK.

Temperature is just a parameter that may be worth considering for fussy eaters.

Jamie

2 out of my 3 stimis r problem feeders...BUT...my Adult male who is a shocker has taken to day old chicks and he smashes them every time....(this is not good as now i gota start putting vit powder on them as they not as good as rodents)...so now its the long road back to scenting rodents with chicks...lol

Last edited:
2 out of my 3 stimis r problem feeders...BUT...my Adult male who is a shocker has taken to day old chicks and he smashes them every time....(this is not good as now i gota start putting vit powder on them as they not as good as rodents)...so now its the long road back to scenting rodents with chicks...lol

Don't we just love picky feeders?
For christmas, stuff the chick witha mouse (like some people do with turkeys for chrissy) and see if he'll eat it...if he doesn't you can rename him to the Grinch for ruining the Christmas meal!!!!!!!

just fed my stimmi now lol just put in the front of the hide and BAM i could still see the buldge on the bredli i have a problem... how does one know if the snake is sleeping or not?? cuz i need to refill the water for my bredli but it doesnt help cause half of his body is on the thing... and quickly ive been trying to find this for 4 days and its bugging me what do pythons eyes look like in the sun and at night??? cause i swear those red bulbs the eyes change does it matter?? cause im gonna get the ceramic heat emitting bulbs soon and gonna chuck one of them and 1 infrarred one

- - - Updated - - -

just peeped in and the stimmie is eatting while my bredli is just stairing at the stimmie.. i gave my bredli 2 weaner mice yday and is about 9 months old do they generally eat more than that ?

just fed my stimmi now lol just put in the front of the hide and BAM i could still see the buldge on the bredli i have a problem... how does one know if the snake is sleeping or not?? cuz i need to refill the water for my bredli but it doesnt help cause half of his body is on the thing... and quickly ive been trying to find this for 4 days and its bugging me what do pythons eyes look like in the sun and at night??? cause i swear those red bulbs the eyes change does it matter?? cause im gonna get the ceramic heat emitting bulbs soon and gonna chuck one of them and 1 infrarred one

- - - Updated - - -

just peeped in and the stimmie is eatting while my bredli is just stairing at the stimmie.. i gave my bredli 2 weaner mice yday and is about 9 months old do they generally eat more than that ?
How can he c the stimi?
U can up ya feeds
if ya wana c if its sleeping then just wiggle yur finger in front of its nose :rolleyes: :facepalm:

cause the bredli is in a click clack in the big enclosure as the stimmie ( stimmie roams around and the bredli is in her clikc clack ) so reckon give him 3 weaner mice?? cause the stimi doesnt eat more than 1 weaner shes generally happy with one but the bredli just wants to keep eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back