Weird Sound - hissing or just air?? D. Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liccy

Reaction score
Hi There,

I have a diamond python that i have had for a few years - I have don't handle him often. But tonight i had him out for a good hour, and he kept making a weird noise. No so much as a hissing sound - but more like a 'whisper girls fart' from his head! (sorry for the description - but im sure we all know what i mean)

Possibly from his nose? or those vents under his jaw?

What do people think it is? does it signify a mood or something?

Alicia

Really? stressed?? i didn't realise that... :(

after about an hour he started to do it more frequently... but he seemed quite calm and just sitting on my lap still?

Although I don't handle him much, he always seems so calm and relaxed when I do get him out and handle him...

My bredli girl makes a breathing/whistling wiisper sound when she breaths heavily. I took it to the vet as i feared respiratory infection. He said it could be a loose scale (he didnt notice anything) but said otherwise she seemed completly healthy and that i shouldnt be worried.

Our Diamond get a loud hiss going when he's had enough of being handled. Tightens on your body and makes the noise. Good time to let him go about his/her business.

my 9 yr old male carpet makes a very loud hissing as soon as u go into his enclosure. i only go in when its nessesary. even though he doesnt bite, i can tell he isnt happy by my presence.
sounds like you should leave your snake alone and just look at it. :D

my diamond use to do that too, but only when we handle her, because the previous owner didnt handle him...

Possibly from his nose? or those vents under his jaw?
Alicia

Liccy,

Those "vents" along the jaw are actually heat pits, air doesnt actually pass thru them, take a close look you will see they are only shallow pits.

Yeah - wondered what they were - but im not gonna put my face up close enough to a hissing snake - i observe his face from a distance!

I feel terrible now i know that he was stressed :( my poor little snake...

i guess i should handle him more, and put him back when i think he has had enough - poor little guy...

thanks for your help - i was worried that with the cold weather maybe he had caught something :S

Liccy

hey Liccy.
i have a theory on weird sounds when handling. i think it's similar to when you play with a dog that doesn't get much in the way of playful interaction, they go beserk and do all kinds of crazy stuff. so maybe the stress your python is not necessarily negative, it's just excited to be out and about and experincing rare sensations.
just a theory. any other thoughts?
cheers

My coastal makes clicking sounds as well as those hissing sounds... dont have a clue what they are though. It isnt as much as hissing it is more as a big breath is being blown out sound.

hey Liccy.
i have a theory on weird sounds when handling. i think it's similar to when you play with a dog that doesn't get much in the way of playful interaction, they go beserk and do all kinds of crazy stuff. so maybe the stress your python is not necessarily negative, it's just excited to be out and about and experincing rare sensations.
just a theory. any other thoughts?
cheers

Pythons are in no way similar to dogs. They will tolerate handling and some may grow to possibly enjoy it. The reason for this is they are alone for the majority of their lifespan. They have never had to develop emotional responses to others around them, where dogs have had to learn to live together in a pack and have the emotional capacity to respond to different ways of being treated. Also dogs have been bred domestically for thousands of years and these emotional connections have been exaggerated.

Put your flame suit on

Ive got an 'ol fat boy that makes a bit of noise from the nostrils occasionally. With him its because hes fat...not peeed off. It does get worse though when hes about to shed. Is it possibly the same with yours? See if yours makes the noise occasionally in the cage. A peeed of snake Ive found always makes more noise then a whisper girls fart....unless I only know nice girls......naaah that last one was definetly nasty!...and that one...oh and so was she...oooooooooo...yeah.......

My coastal makes clicking sounds as well as those hissing sounds... dont have a clue what they are though. It isnt as much as hissing it is more as a big breath is being blown out sound.

YES - thats what i mean!!

HAHA - i knew i shouldnt have used a fart to describe it - should have known i would receive comments!! its just like a little release of air that isnt all that loud and just goes "fwooo" (i guess thats how to describe it??) i was thinking it was more of a relaxed sigh like us humans do occasionally (yes - im aware that we r nothing like snakes!)

I know my snake does go really red under his chin and first part of his body when he gets fed... im assuming this could be excitement?? he did it when I got him out of the cage as well.... but then it went away after a while.. and then a little bit later the noises came....

I do occasionally hear sounds coming out of the cage - but i am certain they are farts - if snakes can fart... quite loud and never happens more than once at a time...

Im still not happy that ppl thik it could possibly be stress - he showed no signs of being stressed... poor lil thing.. i feel bad :(

yeah - no im completely worried - i will keep a good watch on him

Yes - i am SURE mine farts - (unless of course that is another problem again... :S)

Yes - i am SURE mine farts - (unless of course that is another problem again... :S)

My wife usually blames the animals as well :p

As for the hissing - one of our jungles hisses when he due for a shed. Other times he is quiet.

IsK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back