Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
only twice have i had snakes come at me and of all the browns and tigers that i have seen it was rbbs that are the only snake that has had a go and i had to hassel them a bit on a hot day before they turned and went me. I can't remember them using sights though?

where did verandah come from? clearly says balcony, we have a similar one at our house. imagine if lister didnt ask for advice afraid you would all slam him/her for it, and they would continue to shovel every snake. good on you for asking Lister.

Heaps of people kill snakes, at least somone is trying to make an informed decision.
Quite frankly when someone is asking for help i personally (if i had any worthwhile snake knowledge) like to dismount my high horse. thats just me.

where did verandah come from? clearly says balcony, we have a similar one at our house. imagine if lister didnt ask for advice afraid you would all slam him/her for it, and they would continue to shovel every snake. good on you for asking Lister.

Heaps of people kill snakes, at least somone is trying to make an informed decision.
Quite frankly when someone is asking for help i personally (if i had any worthwhile snake knowledge) like to dismount my high horse. thats just me.

no high horse involved , its actually illegal to kill a snake under a wildlife act of sorts

only twice have i had snakes come at me and of all the browns and tigers that i have seen it was rbbs that are the only snake that has had a go and i had to hassel them a bit on a hot day before they turned and went me. I can't remember them using sights though?

haha a rbbs?!?! are you serious? I had a wild one at work that came to check me out and laid right up against my leg for a few minutes then went off into the bush - and the captive ones ive dealt with have all been really sweet animals. I havent had a problem with eastern browns either but i havent had the pleasure of seeing a wild tiger snake yet.

I bet you got a shock with the red belly -from my experience and understanding of them most are extremely placid.....but then again i guess theyll only take so much

thankyou for these kind words.

being a moderator of a jet ski racing website my skin is thicker than a cane toad ;)

I hope to learn much more about snakes here, as I dont like being ignorant. But I better apologise for some future dumb questions !!

what a start to a site membership hey?

haha a rbbs?!?! are you serious? I had a wild one at work that came to check me out and laid right up against my leg for a few minutes then went off into the bush - and the captive ones ive dealt with have all been really sweet animals. I havent had a problem with eastern browns either but i havent had the pleasure of seeing a wild tiger snake yet.

I bet you got a shock with the red belly -from my experience and understanding of them most are extremely placid.....but then again i guess theyll only take so much

I've seen a few wild rbbs now. Some can be pretty flighty, others easy as. Most captive RBBS are so simple its not funny. But yeah, sometimes you can get the flighty one. They did turn on me and charge me, but they still didn't bite or open their mouth, they got close enough but weren't interested in that, they just seemed to want me to back peddel a bit to give them a chance to take off.

in your experience mark whats the best elapid to start with RBB?

I just got an email from a handler, slatey grey.

now I really feel like crap.

thanks for your help. I DO need more understanding of the wildlife around here and yes hindsight is a lovely thing. I promise I'll finish the balcony soon too.
It's a shame about the snake but understandably from your point of view.
Maybe look at getting a good reptile field guide specific to your area and then when you do see a snake try to identify it.

This has helped me heaps. Sometime when people post pics for ID purposes i try to figure out what it is before i look at what others have guessed. Am now feeling more confident in my ID abilities.
This site is a great place to learn, there are alot of very knowledgable people to learn from.
Dont be put off by any negativity

I've seen a few wild rbbs now. Some can be pretty flighty, others easy as. Most captive RBBS are so simple its not funny. But yeah, sometimes you can get the flighty one. They did turn on me and charge me, but they still didn't bite or open their mouth, they got close enough but weren't interested in that, they just seemed to want me to back peddel a bit to give them a chance to take off.

yeah Mark, larger RBB, approaching 6 feet say, are often a whole different kettle of fish...

Lister; I suggest, as you live in Cairns, you attempt to get over your fear of snakes, they arn't out to get you, just the frogs in your guttering.

It's a shame about the snake but understandably from your point of view.
Maybe look at getting a good reptile field guide specific to your area and then when you do see a snake try to identify it.

This has helped me heaps. Sometime when people post pics for ID purposes i try to figure out what it is before i look at what others have guessed. Am now feeling more confident in my ID abilities.
This site is a great place to learn, there are alot of very knowledgable people to learn from.
Dont be put off by any negativity

thanks

well, just to compound my ignorance and make me feel worse, I have just found out that the slatey grey is rather fond of cane toads and their toxin has no adverse effect.

smacking cane toads was the only reason I was out there in the first place and this poor guy was doing my job for me.

I feel like a right goose

can a mod take the pics off the first post? I cant seem to remove them and dont think anyone needs to see them anymore.

cheers

Slatey greys can't eat toads, usually kills them before they manage to swallow them. Ur thinking of keelbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back