what are BHP like?? Really??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO in depends on the personality of the python. Womas and BHP have huge feeding responses but I my guys from that species have quiter personalities than my morelia species.

I cared for a wild BHP for over a year. He was about 6 foot when I got him and nearly 8 foot when other carers took over and he was the biggest sook in history. He loved cuddles and really enjoyed his time with me. He would wander around my house freely at times. I don't have alot of experiance with snakes but I would very gladly have another BPH as long as it was eating properly.He fed well after awhile. I believe this is a bit tricky with this breed. If you are able to get them free you are a very lucky person. Good luck with it.

male whom will be 8 this year and is 15ft.

15 ft is five metres.
No typo? Can't wait for a photo!

I love the Bhps. They can be difficult to get off though when they grab you. They are a very determined and powerful snake when in food response. I had one of my fingers eaten up to the2nd knuckle before i convinced her I wasn't food! In saying that though, when there not in food mode they are great.

male whom will be 8 this year and is 15ft.

15 ft is five metres.
No typo? Can't wait for a photo!

I love the Bhps. They can be difficult to get off though when they grab you. They are a very determined and powerful snake when in food response. I had one of my fingers eaten up to the2nd knuckle before i convinced her I wasn't food! In saying that though, when there not in food mode they are great.

No typo honey, his name is Ben (Hur) and was bred in FNQ, ive just recently moved to brissy and he, with the rest of the gang will be coming down in August when I move into my permanenty rental. Hes just under 15ft (4.53m my data book last recorded on the 28/12/07 and turning 9 not 8, my mistake)but confident he will reach 15'. Have some photos but are not of full length, will get my friends who are minding my snakes to send a pic this week.

Who else keeps large snakes? Any pics?

How much does he weigh matey?

I would love to see your boy in the flesh......I live in Brisbane and still will be a local in August....;)

whole shamoley!!! 15ft!!! wow... Please please please put some pics up here....i never reliesed they got THAT big!!! I just want to say thank you to everyone who replied to this post, you've all been very very very helpful!!! By the sound of it my husband and I are the luckiest people to be recieving these guys for free (well we get one free and we are telling them we are paying for the other - they dont know that yet!!!)
They sound like they can be a bit of a handfull at dinner time but that sounds pretty ok...

wow i have always wanted a bhp. its good to get some opinions on them:) i want a more active snake, my diamond doesnt really do a whole lot lol:) but i love him. i really want a big snake and i absolutely love their black heads.

just a question, which is the best localitly, NT, QLD... other??

I've heard that pilbra local are very nicely coloured and good temperaments.

BHPs are one of the best pythons you can own temperament wise IMO.
They can be a bit flighty as hatchlings but soon settle down realy well.
I even hand feed most of my BHPs, I wouldnt do that with my Coastal or Olive.

Attachments

• millie feed 1.jpg
    millie feed 1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 45
  • millie feed 2.jpg
    millie feed 2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 45
  • millie feed 3.jpg
    millie feed 3.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 50
No typo honey, his name is Ben (Hur) and was bred in FNQ, ive just recently moved to brissy and he, with the rest of the gang will be coming down in August when I move into my permanenty rental. Hes just under 15ft (4.53m my data book last recorded on the 28/12/07 and turning 9 not 8, my mistake)but confident he will reach 15'. Have some photos but are not of full length, will get my friends who are minding my snakes to send a pic this week.

Who else keeps large snakes? Any pics?

pics would be good... That would make them the 3rd bigest snake in Australia, well maybe.

I guess it makes sense though, as they probably evolved to eat megalania and 10m olive pythons :?

That's huge.I am dying to see pics of this.
Just read through this thread and want to say my female is the same.She is the best snake ever until you take her outside on the grass.What a mission to pick her back up off the lawn!!!!!
Don't know what it is but she hasn't been back out there for a while.

When people say snappy... are you meaning they actually get you or just head butt???

lol yep the girl thing it is, lol I have 2 males that I bought as a pair a hatchies and just recently found out there both male, sigh.

good things about getting a bhp are: they are stunning, docile at times (depending on if you startle them and if there quite happy with roaming around outside there cage or not) there fantastic eaters, and depending of the snake it's self will depend on how it is going to be in personality.

bad things: they tend to get mites alot at a young age, I recomend against keeping them together as you might wake up and only find one...they will eat each other. being a carnival. I've almost lost my WA from that. and if you are keeping them together feed them sepretly and was them afterwards.

but with this said they are fantast handlers and my WA loves cuddles and hanging onto me wile I do some cleaning lol. (not with cemicals) and I'm addicted to them and I will breed them next year when I sell one male and get a female that is.

good luck and wow a free baby your very lucky I payed $2000 for my pair as hatchies.

cheers Jody

Mines a big sook, never gets grumpy. Very inquisitive, but when it comes to feeding time its like a shark in a feeding frenzy and he tries to eat everything that moves........

calm,good feeders and no probs breeding brother and sisters

Leezel, although BHP's are considered cannibalistic, they can still be put together for breeding as the cooling period takes their mind off food. Actually some keepers house their BHP's in pairs without problems during summer. This fear of BHP's eating each other came from the fact that the first keepers to breed BHP's were dealing with wild caughts which were eating reptiles in the wild. Captive bred specimens dont seem to be as willing.

There is still a chance of captive bred BHP's (which have been raised on rodents) eating each other in captivity, so it's best that they be kept individually.

Here's 2 pics of my two males.

Attachments

• 100_0366.jpg
    100_0366.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_0376.jpg
    100_0376.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 55
serpenttounge, their awesome BHP's!!! I'm kinda looking forward to having a larger snake even though my spotted is still a hatchling but it still freaks me out on having a snake that big!!

The friends who are giving us one, theirs are great... But I do have a question about with a larger snake what do you do when a snake bites you??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back