What are curl snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
snakegal, glad it's all good ;) yes, the situation in Victoria is a bit different, but that's only the consequence of a political border. Out of interest, what would you propose to be a good idea for managing the species in Victoria? Would you feel worse about Victorian Curl Snakes dying than an equal number of another state's Curl Snakes? Coincidentally, I spent some time out in their Victorian distribution during last year and early this year, including right near where they were doing the herp surveys because of the proposed toxic waste dump you probably know about.

Simone: there's antivenom for all of Australia's elapids.

blurb said:
they are pugnatious when first captured and will not hesitate to bite, and although not regarded as dangerous, bites can be very painful, and in the case of a large specimens, should be medically treated......i found this in care of australian reptiles book by john weigel
whats pugnatious? never mind..
dictionary.com
No results found...did you mean pugnacious? hehehehe

4 results for: pugnacious
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) -

–adjective inclined to quarrel or fight readily; quarrelsome; belligerent; combative.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1635–45; pugnaci(ty) (< L pugnācitās combativeness, equiv. to pugnāci-, s. of pugnāx combative (akin to pugil; see pugilism) + -tās -ty2) + -ous]

—Related forms
pug‧na‧cious‧ly, adverb
pug‧nac‧i‧ty /pʌgˈnæsɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puhg-nas-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, pug‧na‧cious‧ness, noun

—Synonyms argumentative, contentious, bellicose.
—Antonyms agreeable.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source new! pug·na·cious (pg-nshs) Pronunciation Key
adj.
Combative in nature; belligerent. See Synonyms at belligerent.

[From Latin pugnx, pugnc-, from pugnre, to fight, from pugnus, fist. See peuk- in Indo-European Roots.]
pug·nacious·ly adv.
pug·nacious·ness or pug·naci·ty (-ns-t) n.

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Dictionary.com Word of the Day Archive - Cite This Source new!
pugnacious

pugnacious was Word of the Day on May 10, 1999.

Dictionary.com Word of the Day
WordNet - Cite This Source new!
pugnacious

adj 1: tough and callous by virtue of experience [syn: hard-bitten, hard-boiled] 2: ready and able to resort to force or violence; "pugnacious spirits...lamented that there was so little prospect of an exhilarating disturbance"- Herman Melville; "they were rough and determined fighting men" [syn: rough]

Oh wow! A new user who knows how to use dictionary.com !

How exciting!

:D

Sorry Sdaji, i should've explained it better. The episode i saw had Dr Bryan Fry in it. He said there was no specific antiveneve for it as hardly anyone had been bitten and they were not fully aware of how toxic its venom was.

Simone.

That's a strange way of putting it, by that logic there's no specific antivenene for the majority of highly venomous species either (they don't make a different antivenom for each species of brown snake, each species of death adder, etc etc). I suppose you can't expect much from someone who claims that there are venomous vegetarian lizards with no significant predators :roll: :lol: Documentaries about snake are, unfortunately, prone to bending or breaking facts to make the story more exciting. I suppose it's the same with just about anything you see on the telly.

It's a common rumour that many species don't have antivenom available. We only have five types of antivenom for our terrestrial snakes (Taipan, Tiger, Black, Brown, Death Adder) but any Australian elapid can be treated with one of them. Tiger Snake antivenom works for most of them, including most of the Black Snakes and even Sea Snakes to some extent.

Thanks Sdaji, i wouldn't have a clue on antivenom, i'm only going by what was said in the doco. I'm just going by the belief i won't ever need to find out.

Simone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back