What are painted turtles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Painted Turtle

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Painted Turtle

Midland Painted Turtle
  • 4 1/2" - 5 1/2"
  • Large, alternating scutes and oval plastral blotch that varies in size from turtle to turtle
  • Range: Southern Quebec and Southern Ontario to Tennessee. Northwest Georgia and extreme Northeastern Alabama
Southern Painted Turtle
  • 4" - 5"
  • Broad orange or red stripe on back, occasionally yellow stripe
  • Plain yellow plastron which may have one or two tiny black spots
  • Range: Southern Illinois to the Gulf of Mexico. Southwest Alabama to Southeastern Oklahoma. Isolated colony in central Texas
Western Painted Turtle

A young Western Painted Turtle

• 3 1/2" - 7"
  • Netlike pattern on carapace
  • Dark, branched pattern on plastron
  • Range: Southwestern Ontario and Southern Missouri to the Pacific Northwest

Last edited:
Hi 17zon,

The Painted Turtles that are advertised in Australia are the Australian ones and not the American ones! In American sites they call Aussie Painteds ' Red-bellied Short-necked turtles' so they don't get confused.

We call them Painted Turtles in Australia and hope that people do their research in Australian sites, knowing that exotic reptiles are illegal in Australia.

The scientific name is Emydura subglobosa subglobosa.

Anyone wishing to research the Painted Turtles (as advertised) could try searching the scientific name.

In a nutshell, they are a tropical species that only occurs in the Jardine River in far-north Qld (and PNG). They are omnivorous and have to be housed indoors, in a large aquarium, for their entire lives in most parts of Australia.

They are quite a small species only attaining a straight carapace length of up to 22-23 cms.

Hope this helps,

Gab

Last edited:
Hey Aftcra,

cool thanks 4 that, you learn somthing new everyday, i will have to hava look on google (lol).. i had never hurd of this turtle before but thanks i do now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back