What are your thoughts?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harlemrain

Reaction score
So we have a new addition to the family (photos to come) a 2.5 yr old Woma, beautiful boy placid as anything and I handled him a fair bit last night once we got him home. So I put him away and went straight to check on my 1yr old coastal who is also a boy and as soon as I put my hand in the tank he hissed at me three or four times.

Now my coastal is bomb proof never once bitten, headbutted hissed or even assumed strike position.

So I got him out and all was well and good he acted totally normal so I was wondering what you guys think can snakes smell other snakes? Do you think it's possible he smelt my Womas scent or just total coincidence? Anyone have anything smiliar happen with theirs?

Cheers

Of course they can. They have a very strong sense of smell.

However, I suggest you look up how to quarantine. Going from a new animal to existing animals is a BIG no-no, in just about every animal keeping hobby. It's very easy to spread disease between animals if no quarantine is implemented, and there are some very serious diseases about in the snake world. You can still quarantine as a "just in case" measure, but odds are your coastal is already exposed if your woma does have something.

Oh I always thought that meant just keeping the animals seperate from eachother, I didn't realise it went to that extent :shock: I will keep that in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back