What do cricket eggs look like?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

a1086528

Reaction score
hey all

just wondering what cricket eggs look like? i'm trying to breed crickets and just overnight have noticed this 50 cent coin area covered in white mossy stuff in my cricket tank.

michael

the mossy stuff is most likely too much moisture in your tank- fungus, their eggs are very small and elongated white/yellowy in colour. maybe 2-3 mm in length. Did you give them any substrate in a part of the tank for them to lay their eggs in?

i am interested in this thread , as I am also trying to breed crix and havnt had any luck yet,
I have substrate in a chinese container, and I see crix in there, but how long do you leave it in there for before you take the container out and move to a warmer place, as I have only tried it once so far and i kept the substrate too damp , and it was no good and stunk :x
so i have put new substrate in now to start agai, but how often do crix lay eggs and when do i remove the container as I hear males stel the eggs:shock:

Thanks
Kelly

i used peat moss as the subtrate. Per this forum I also buried a few fly screen covered containers.

There are lots of cricket breeding threads around, but its easy - I had a half hearted attempt and it went ok. My feeding colony is just in a tub with a bit of vermiculite substrate, some egg cartons and carrot.

I decided to see if I can get them breeding so just added a couple of laying containers - chinese container 1/3 full of sand/peat mix. Put the egg cartons on top to encourage the crix onto the laying container. Wait a few weeks. Spray the laying mix now and again to keep it moist.

I then took the laying containers out, lidded them (just pisces type lids so had ventilation holes) and put them in a warm place (they were getting some warmth from being near a heat globe). After several weeks I had nothing in the chinese containers so I just put the containers aside.

The other day I went to chuck the stuff out to use the container and blow me down I had pinhead crickets in it. Not many as I didn't have a great deal of adults in the first place to lay, and they aren't on heat, but that shows how easy it is. So it doesn't take much, just ensure you have a decent colony of adults and they are heated and you should get heaps. You will need a few different containers for hatching/pinheads and large sizes as they will get eaten by bigger crickets (I have even had adult crix eat 'large smalls')

i am interested in this thread , as I am also trying to breed crix and havnt had any luck yet,
I have substrate in a chinese container, and I see crix in there, but how long do you leave it in there for before you take the container out and move to a warmer place, as I have only tried it once so far and i kept the substrate too damp , and it was no good and stunk :x
so i have put new substrate in now to start agai, but how often do crix lay eggs and when do i remove the container as I hear males stel the eggs:shock:

Thanks
Kelly

Make sure that the substrate is moist but not flooded. I usually leave the container in there for about a week for the crickets to lay in and then take it out to another container where the eggs can hatch and grow. That usually takes another week. It's quiet simple. I don't really use any heating for them, they are just inside the house in room temp, they breed with no problems. Hope this helps :)

Thanks guys,

I have also used 50:50 sand / peat moss
I will keep trying, .so should I be misting them daily?
No heat hey?, I thought they needed heat... interesting:)

Sorry to steal the topic, . back to the original question, . what do the eggs look like?, can you even see them?, I thought they were buried and it was a bit of a guessing game as to whether there where even eggs in there?

Thanks again guys
Kelly :)

Here are some i found in the backyard.....

Attachments

• BALLS1.jpg
    BALLS1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 133
Kelly, as said before in the second post of the thread the eggs are very small and elongated, probably around 2-3 mm. You are right, they lay the eggs in the substrate and usually you can't see them, but you can see them if they lay right next to the wall of the container, as chines container are fairly transparent. I only use the moss with no sand mix. If the whole substrate is moist, then you don;t need to moisten it any more than that, just leave it there for the duration.

There are many ways of doing it, but this is my way which has always worked for me ;)

Well done- trick now is to keep them warm (30deg is ideal).
Also big tip to feed them fish flakes- works a charm in speeding up their growth.

Well done- trick now is to keep them warm (30deg is ideal).
Also big tip to feed them fish flakes- works a charm in speeding up their growth.

Thanks Twiggz,

I have some fish food, so il put some in,

Thanks
Kelly:D

what kind of moss are u using?

is it peat moss?
i bought some the other day to put in the frog tank and opened it and it was like dirt/soil.
i am new to this and i thought moss was suppose to be like soft carpet looking or something.

is it peat moss?
i bought some the other day to put in the frog tank and opened it and it was like dirt/soil.
i am new to this and i thought moss was suppose to be like soft carpet looking or something.

coconut, you get it in blocks, but you can use others.

Baby Crix

is it peat moss?

Lol, are u talking about the green fury stuff tha lives on rocks etc? lol

Peat moss is like 'dirt /soil'
You can buy it in bags or in a brick like I have, so i just chizel a bit of as i need it , and mixed it 50;50 sand/peat moss a little over 3/4 of a chines container,

It might sound like a stupid thing to be excited about, but I wsas so happy/surprised to see tiny baby crix today, after thinking it was another failed attempt, . I have another tub of eggs on the way, so I should have heaps:), no more buying heaps of crix for my piggy Levis, and amyae, especially 1 Levis is such a PiG!, .

So good luck anyone , tryin to breed crix out there, im no expert at all, but it is really pretty easy, as I have put not much time in to them :), .

moss

so you used the peat moss with your sand ? the dirt/soil type ?

so you used the peat moss with your sand ? the dirt/soil type ?

Yes, the dirt soil type,
I pour it into a container then pour in the same amount of sand, mix it all up, then as i said pour the 'mixture' into a cinese container (just over 3/4 full), and spray iwith water every few days, .;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back