What do you Belive with Shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you spray water to help with a shed

• I believe it helps and i do it

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Unsure, But do it anyway

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Dont belive but still do it

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Unsure but dont do it

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Dont belive, but might do it!

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Dont belive so never will!

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Only with hatcho's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only help after bad shed!

Votes: 27 32.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reason i spray is that i dont like moving the enclosure around too much as that tends to up set some snakes! But i havent had a problem yet when misting! I have a couple of mates and every fourth shed or so they tend to have to soak theirs afterwards to get the rest off! Im not to sure if it is it or not! but i haven't had a problem so i'm just going to keep on doing what works for me!

Cheers guys for the reply's it's a great inlook on how other people do things with their snakes when you ask questions like these. keep the great replys coming!

Cheers Barno

I just watch the humidity levels and try to keep them within range for the species, I may do this by changing the substrate to coco earth for the shedding period or adding a moss box.

In some cases (usually with BHP's) i may move the water bowl closer to the heat lamp, but in most cases (with all my pythons) i just turn the heating down or off during their shedding period.

I was under the impression that a fluid forms between the new skin and old skin and that is what aids in the sloughing process.

True, but in warm, dry enclosures with incorrect humidity, the shedding oils can dry up pre-maturely, which causes shedding problems.

I dont do anything... if my snakes are having trouble i usually find them soaking themselves in there water dish... they make a mess but theyve never had a bad shed.

in the wild where do snakes go to sit and soak? do they soak in rivers, lakes or ponds? or do they soak in like a hole filled with water where mosquitos are likely to lay their eggs?

also what is their old skin made out of, has it got nutrients for fishes to eat off from if they did soak in the river?

they would more then likely soak in some sort of water system! weather it be a river, dam a pond. No idea on the nutrients in the old skin!

in the wild where do snakes go to sit and soak? do they soak in rivers, lakes or ponds? or do they soak in like a hole filled with water where mosquitos are likely to lay their eggs?

also what is their old skin made out of, has it got nutrients for fishes to eat off from if they did soak in the river?

I'd imagine that they would just find somewhere cool like under leaflitter or in crevices and burrows of creeks beds where the soil would be moist. They dont need to actually soak in water, they just need to be cool to avoid their shedding oils from drying out.

When my outdoor diamonds shed their skin, ants come into the aviary and eat the skin. It can be gone in days.

i've had the march of the ants come into my loungeroom for a skin sitting on the coffee table.

ahh ok

i just thought like if they did soak in the rivers, it would be cool to make an enclosure with a little waterfall to keep humidity up, 1/3 or 1/2 the enclosures base to be like a little aquarium with little electric yellow cichlids inside them.

So when its time to soak, the fishes can nibble off the dead skin.

if it would work, itll be so cool to watch !

would also be great to watch the snake and fishes grow together... if the jungle doesnt do a death kiss to the fishes !

I don't spray them all the time but if they appear to be having some trouble I spray them. My olives I do spray regularly, and our lizards I mist occasionally.

I have never misted my snakes, my coastal had a really bad shed a few weeks ago so I purchased some Shed- Ease which is a reptile bath formula. Best investment yet, worked wonders...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back