What do you do when your beloved python dies ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhamMagsBaird89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Gday everyone
I noticed the other day someone asking about laminating sheds and it made me think. What does everyone do with there snakes when they pass away?
Has anyone here had there snakes stuffed for display?
anyone every used the skins to make something I.e wallets. Shoes so that u have. Lasting memory
Maybe you preserve them in jars or donate them to the local science dept at a school
Or do u bury them

Thank goodness I haven't ever had to overcome a death yet but when it does happen I would love to know my options

Thanks heaps for your input every1

i think you may find that turning your pet into a wallet isnt just distasteful but its also against your licence regulations so slightly illegal

Most of those things are definitely a big no-no for me. I could never rip the skin off a beloved pet's corpse to make a wallet, or have them stuffed, feels like the opposite of respecting their memory to me. Personally, I prefer to bury them in a nice place in the garden, but I do understand that everyone deals with loss differently. I'm curious to see what others have to say actually :p

I guess it would be acceptable in other cultures/countries...

I personally would choose cremation or burial. I already have over 2000 pics of my woma and close to 200 of my jungle so far. I think a frame with pics and most recent or best looking shed to accompany would satisfy me.

They are dead. Skinning, stuffing, etc etc isn't going to upset/hurt it in any way.

Ive got a pair of boots made out of all my old breeders, looks like a patchwork quilt.. ;P

I joke, i bury them down the back of the garden :(

Make a pool table out of them that'd be cool. And you could stuff one really straight as a cue.

Sorry if I offended anyone personally I would never turn my snakes into a wallet or shoes but I had someone ask me today what I'd do with a 8ft+ dead snake and if I'd ever consider turning it into a belt and wallet. So it got me thinking what would I really do and what does everyone else do
BUT.I wouldn't have a problem having one stuffed and mounted in a realistic mannor to remember them by

I don't like the idea of turning a beloved pet into a wallet or a pair of shoes, I've had geckos pass away on me, and I bury them they rest in peace that way. I couldn't look at my beloved pet if it was stuffed or made into something.

Anyone heard of that company that turns cremated remains into synthetic diamonds to be word as jewellery? It's a little weird but also kind of nice.

I would bury it. I think that making it into a wallet or getting them stuffed isn't the right thing to do. I don't know about anyone else but I would cry if I was skinning my own pet even if it is dead. because I love all my pets.

Anyone heard of that company that turns cremated remains into synthetic diamonds to be word as jewellery? It's a little weird but also kind of nice.

That actually sounds really cool. It's a nice sentiment - sediment? :p

So burning a beloved pet to a cinder isn't cruel but skinning is?
29083206.jpg

I wouldn't do anything other than bury/ cremate my pet if anything ever happened to any of them. In my personal opinion i wouldn't get them skinned or stuffed out of respect to my beloved pet.

I don't know about cruel, but certainly distasteful. Again, only personal opinion :)

I hold this point of view about stuffing and preserving all pets, it creeps me out. A taxidermist wouldn't be on my call list if my parent/sibling/friend passed, why do it to my pet?

Rowdy is an exception though, he was pretty funny :p

yep heard of them , my sister looked into after our father passed , what we where told is that to say that you can take the ashes of a deceased person and turn them into a synthetic diamond through some magic process is a bit like saying " hey guys watch this im going to take this cucumber and turn it into a metal key through a process that im not willing to tell you much about but i just want you to have complete blind faith in me "

imo its a complete scam , and one of the worst going as they prey on people who are grieving

29083206.jpg
let me ask you this , would you go and turn your family dog into a backpack or something like it ?

I'd just bury my pet. Everyone will have their own opinion but for me I don't like the idea of cremation (humans or animals). I would rather be on/in the earth fertilising the land when I die instead of in the atmosphere as gas and partially in a urn as ash. I think its kind of selfish as humans to hold on to our loved ones ashes but I understand thats what some people need to do to deal with a loss.

And you people don't want to know what I think I about skinning or stuffing a pet. :)

I'd just bury my pet. Everyone will have their own opinion but for me I don't like the idea of cremation (humans or animals). I would rather be on/in the earth fertilising the land when I die instead of in the atmosphere as gas and partially in a urn as ash. I think its kind of selfish as humans to hold on to our loved ones ashes but I understand thats what some people need to do to deal with a loss.

And you people don't want to know what I think I about skinning or stuffing a pet. :)

I'd never hold onto someone's ashes myself, I'd find a nice place to scatter them. One thing you're overlooking is that when people are buried (at least in Aus) they have to be buried in a casket of some sort, so not a whole lot of fertilisation of the land takes place.. And having lived next door to a cemetery in the past, I found it rather depressing seeing the surrounding bushland destroyed, displacing the native animals to make room for more dead people to be buried. Anyway, that's a little off topic :p

I've known someone that had their cat stuffed after it died... Honestly, the damn thing creeps the jeepers out of me. It's so unnatural, having a dead pet's corpse lingering in the house, constantly staring.. 100% creepy. Not to mention I find it pretty darn gross, dead things belong in the ground in my opinion. Also, every time I looked at it (aside from just creep factor) I'd feel really upset all over again. As mentioned by some others, I prefer to use photos/video footage to remember my lost pets by.

x

Last edited:
I think the stuffing/memorial thing is more an overseas thing; I haven't heard of it much it here in Oz. The wallet/shoe idea is just bad taste I reckon.
Our bredli passed away Saturday night, and because we had a post-mortem done, we allowed the the vet to arrange for her disposal. Usually, we have buried the various pets we have lost over the years (dogs, birds, turtles, beardies).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back