What do you do? Work? Study?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xxMelissaxx

Reaction score
Sitting here at work, and trying to get an assignment done (trying to stop finding things such as creating threads on APS to sidetrack me), and it just got me curious as to what everyone on here does?

Work? Study? Both? Planning to change paths? Stay where you are until you retire? Happy with what you do, or unsatisfied? Feel free to provide some history as well ie. where you started.

Not sure if everyone will be comfortable sharing all this, but for those that are, I'm interested.

I'm guessing there may be a wide and varied range of responses..

Did a search, and didn't find any similar threads. Apologies if this has been done before.

Last edited:
Hi Melissa,

I study Zoology at uni and work at Australian Geographic :) I'm happy with how it's going... How about yourself???

Hi, Melissa

I studied for 6 years - Bach Applied Science, MA Communications, private degree in photography... I now work as a senior communications & visual media officer for an environmental NGO in Vietnam, which works on climate change and sustainable agricultural solutions with rural communities, mostly to the north of Hanoi in the mountains.

I hope to finish out the year here, and move back to be with my partner and animals. There's a chance that we'll move down to Canberra so that I can continue to pursue a career path, but eventually, I hope to go back to uni and study psychological and change tacks to clinical psychology.

...And have some kids and some houses and buy a farm, in the meantime :D

You?

I worked in Pharmacy as a Dispense Tech for many years till career change 18 months ago to Chiropractics as an Assistant.
4 children (3 beautiful girls, and a gorgeous son aged between 27 and 15)

I work part-time now, look after my 2 adorable grand-sons (aged 4 and 1) once or twice a week, and help out a few hours a week at the 'Scales & Tails Australia' magazine office.

Michelle :D

I study full time doing a bachelor of environmental science. and work weekends at a marina.

I have an honors degree in Resource Economics, have played college basketball for the university of Texas (I'm 6"7) and worked in a number of different jobs including an environmental research economist, market analyst and professional dog trainer. I currently work in an elite team for a Law Enforcement Agency but can't go into detail about that here.

I'm looking for a change and recently started studying a masters of environmental management to get back into an environmental role and eventually move out of the city.

I'm married with no kids and my wife represented Australia at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Would prefer not to say what sport though as she comes up on google

im a photoshop retoucher and work mostly on realestate pics,...bit boring compared to others, but i enjoy it most days and it pays the bills! ;)

At the moment I am a stay at home Mum with five kids aged 17, 15, 10, 3 & 9 months. Until two years ago I worked at Centrelink (I was there for 13 years). I also study Bachelor of Psychology part time by distance education.

I drive these things...
wallpaper_h_1024.jpg

God, all uni nerds :p jks. I'm a chippy and have been for about the last 6 years. Its pretty good, pays the bills and is going to come in handy when i start renovating my own houses. As for career change, definatley possible but what to i don't know. I don't plan to still be on the tools by the time I am age 35-40, seeing as how badly it buggers your body.

I own/run a photography studio, we mainly shoot weddings and portraits. Looking for a change though, getting very bored with brides and babies and just want to get outside with my cameras and shoot something new!

Working with reptiles or cars in some way would be magic :)

i work shift work in a factory making frozen meals, crap boring job, have been doing it for 10 years and want a change of career, i want to be able to spend more time with my partner and kids as i see them for 30 mins of a morning and then on the weekend when we havnt got 2-3 different sports to attend. Am thinking of starting my own business

I sit in front of a computer all day for work.
I draw stuff, I listen to music and even check my emails.
All in a days work.

I have a beauty salon set up at home, beats working for someone else big time! I worked in various salons and day spas for about 5 years before setting up at home, about 18 months ago.
I work when I want, don't have the pressure to sell, it's great.
Also means I can limit the number of weirdo's i get.

I think after working for so long the idea of going back to school makes me feel a little ill, i HATED school!!!!

i Used to be a chippy, then i moved to IT started as a Seismic data recovery tech (not exactly IT lol) then moved to an IT Admin role, then moved to my current roll as an IT/Network Admin for a mining/geology consulting company, i enjoy the work and the company.

Work for Qld Ambulance Fulltime...

Also Volunteering with RSPCA Animal Ambulance in spare time...

Used to be a paramedic, retired three yrs ago, after 32 yrs, 2 months and 18 days, but who's counting! Along the way, I obtained a Graduate Diploma in Aquaculture. Now breed snakes and rodents, hobby pays for its self + modest profit. Spare time I search for gold with a metal detector. So far found about 90grms = about $4K's worth.

I work on the wharfs, unloading or loading these thingos :D

Attachments

• Kwinana_Bulk_Jetty_sulphur_unloading_rdax_772x526.jpg
    Kwinana_Bulk_Jetty_sulphur_unloading_rdax_772x526.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 46
  • North_Quay_container_ships_rdax_782x518.jpg
    North_Quay_container_ships_rdax_782x518.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back