What do you do? Work? Study?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a mechanical fitter and work in the mines, power stations, oil and gas throughout australia. Love sitting on planes and seeing all of oz, but does get a little boring when away for 2-3 weeks at a time. The money is good thats the major positive!!!!

I'm a piano player and composer. In my 3rd year of a bachelor of music.

I'm a commercial refrigeration mechanic. Love my job. Lots of hours tho. Get to see some pretty interesting stuff. Been doing it for about 12 years now. Probably will till the end of my days. Dad has his own business doing the same thing that I can have if I want to but I enjoy working for someone else and I probably make more money.

It's a pretty 'cool' job. Hahaha

I run Educational Reptile Displays and Herp Books, and am getting started with buying/renovating/selling properties.

I teach subjects from the diplomas of Networking & Telecommunications and diploma of Website Production and Management.
I also freelance database driven websites & applications

So Melissa what do you do? I'm intrigued as we were having an interesting discussion the other night

Some very interesting replies on here!

I'm at Uni at the moment - finishing up a double degree in Psych and HRM. The business degree was virtually a waste of time, and not challenging in the slightest. Have picked up a fair bit of good knowledge though, so not exactly regretting it. Psych is good - can be challenging as long as I do the right subjects.

I'm at a crossroads now, not sure where to head. The plan was always to do a medicine degree, so I think I'll be doing that next year - been working towards that the last couple of years, and all is good to go as long as I don't seriously screw up this semester! I'm working full time hours as well, I'm the supervisor of a Control Room which can be quite demanding time-wise.

I've just bought my first Investment Property too - Real Estate is something that I find very interesting. Planning on starting to build a portfolio as soon as I get good capital growth on my first.

Issue for me is - I've never wanted to be a doctor. Psychiatry is what I want to do, but this obviously requires med school and further studies after that. I could do my honors year in Psych and stick with Psychology, but I am worried that this will limit me down the line. The more educated and qualified I am, the better.

I need to work as I have a mortgage, and at 22-years-old, I don't know if I want to study for another 6+ years. I can easily handle the work-load and intensity of my current degree, as well as work, but medicine will likely be a lot more demanding. I really think it will be in my best interests to have a few properties under my belt before I turn 30...(don't we all!), and I think it is more than doable, so I am aiming towards that and therefore, need to work.

So, no real idea what I'm doing unfortunately, I guess I'm just studying for the hell of it at the moment. I'm at the point where I'm just confused and frustrated. I guess I'll be fine either way though, I think I'm just at that age..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing a TAFE course in Nursing next year, as well as my HSC. The course will go towards my ATAR which will be great. When I finish school, I want to go to Uni and get a Bachelor degree in Midwifery. It's 3 years full time. I need an ATAR of 90, so I need to do super well. On the side, I perform in my band, The Creatures Rose, in folk festivals and get paid. We go busking most weekends too. $1 a minute! :)

I do debt collecting. It's call centre work but great fun, slowly moving my way up the ladder in the company. Currently doing coaching for everyone else in the centre and taking calls when we are really busy.

I am studying at uni to be a vet. Graduate at the end of the next year and certainly can't see myself changing career paths - loving it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back