What does Australia Day mean to you?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does Australia Day mean to you?

• Party Time

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Family Time

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Nothing, except another beautiful day off work

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Chance to reflect on Australias good and bad history

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Celebrate being an Aussie, as its the best country in the WORLD

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • 26th Jan 1788 should never be celebrated, as its Invasion Day

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really believe that your own ramblings what are doing wasting time on the computer why arn't you at work ? :lol:

i do also work from home and its so hard to go to work when my employer has shut as its a public holiday. trust me id rather be at work getting paid. im not paid while im here wasting time on the computer.

but enough of taking over this thread. this has nothing to do with the thread. so enjoy your day of celebration

I enjoy Australia day. I chose to live in this country, and I've not regretted it.

In saying that, I cannot abide this awful attitude of "love it or leave it". You have to be able to criticize what you love, and say what you have to say :D

nothing.
now flame me if you like.
what do we really have to celebrate? we have let migrants into our country (not a bad thing) but they dont fit in with our ways so we have given into them and stop doing some of our customs, we let them do as they want so we dont offend them

Personally i dont really care, im proud to be an Aussie and i dont give a if i offend someone for being Australian. I can understand people wanting to live in this great country, but if they dont like the customs that come with our great nation, then dont let the door hit you on the way out.

I dont agree with trying to change the date, thats like saying "lets change ANZAC Day to september, no where near the significant date in history, but hey what the hell, i dont like April" Some remember it for one thing, others for a different reason, at the end of the day its still what it is. If ive offended someone then i apologize in advance, but everyones entitled to an opinion and thats mine, it is in no way intended to have a go at anyone.

Oh and i picked to celebrate the greatest country in the world...AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!!

Happy aus day!!! i love australia there is no other place i'd rather be!!

half of my dreams fot he future are involving the aussie icons!! so why not celebrate everything australia has to offer!?! australia is the bestest place in the WHOLE world no matter what people say. ..................a sunburnt country is my sort of country!!!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI :D

Its just another day for me. I mean yes there is history behind this day but for alot of people its a mournful day. Really when it comes down to it we celebrate the invasion of a country while our natives mourn over being invaded.

As for the people that have migrated, for anyone to say they dont "fit in" or anything of the sort is nothing short of racist. Ive met Asians, Lebonese, Greeks etc etc who are just as Aussie as the rest of us.

I wonder, these migrant statements, do they also apply to the Westerners that come here? I dont see anybody complaining about the Americans, English etc etc. Sounds to me like they dont fit YOUR values.

So I guess when it comes down to it. Australia Day is a day to celebrate a time in history when our people invaded and killed to get our own way. And how do we celebrate it? By being a bunch of racists fools towards any Non-Western Race. Very Australian all!

Happy Australia Day!

For me its a day to take the sandman down to moana beach for a day of beach cricket!

I took a nanna nap ............and bummed around ..........got a bit of glass in my foot (shouldve had my double pluggers on)and now am lighting up the BBQ ..............and I had a nice ICE cold shandy:).....cause I drank all my VODKA last night twas the hubby's 40th birthday ...so typical of AUSSIE DAY TRADITION we are recovering from hang overs ..........

Is it really any less racist to think that the Australian aboriginals have anymore right
to be living in Australian than anyone else?
I didn't invade Australian, my relatives didn't either.

No point dwelling on the past, might as well enjoy how great things are right now. :)

Celebrating being Australia, Their isn't really any other country in the world I would rather be, I dont even have any intention of travelling oversea's I would rather travel aus again.
Totally agree with ya there. We have an amazing country one in which I have no desire to leave. I've never been overseas unless you count hamilton Island.lol. And our backyard(australia) has by far more amazing things to see than any other country in the world. And at least here I know what can kill me.lol.:D

They why do we? Were the ones that "bring" it up every year, not the Aboriginals.

To me, celebrating isn't "dwelling on the past"..

If a people cant defend their borders against invasion, the resulting invasion is their own doing. :)

If a people cant defend their borders against invasion, the resulting invasion is their own doing. :)

*Starts writing a list* If all members could PM me their address and ATM PIN that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance for your co-operation!

Last edited:
And what, australia09, do you believe it was right for us to come and take over their lands? Torture and torment them? Kick them out of their homes and destroy their way of life? That's like the Japanese (for example) invading us now and forcing all of us to live the way they want us to. How would you like it?

Are you mad?
I was in Czech republic 30 years ago having no Idea what this bad people did 200 years ago.
Why I should feel guilty?
I am proud Australian citizen and don't consider to be your so called as.

What I did wrong mate?
Grow up and don't hold grudges like some of the nationalities coming to this great country and bringing with them they problems from past.

We all criticize emigrants to do this, and after you read post from Australian person doing same thing.

My god, I apologise I apologise I apologise I apologise I apologise I apologise I apologise
I have no idea what I did 200 years ago. Looks like we should blame all Czech ansesters for it.:cry::cry:

nothing.
now flame me if you like.
what do we really have to celebrate? we have let migrants into our country (not a bad thing) but they dont fit in with our ways so we have given into them and stop doing some of our customs, we let them do as they want so we dont offend them. then theres our own aboriganals. i think we all know enough about them.
we have nothing to celebrate, just go to work you lazy bums
:shock:
that is excellent example of expresing wisdom.:shock:

Everyone seems to have gotten confused by what I said. For that, I apologise.

I don't hold any grudges, nor do I expect anyone to feel guilty. I was simply informing australia09 of what the Aborigines had gone through (albeit without a few details) and offering a view point to explain it better, as it seemed to me like he either didn't care or didn't know. I was not attacking anyone.

Slateman, I'm sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on history, and so I have no idea what you meant when you said "We should blame all Czech ancestors for it"? Also, I'm not calling anyone names or anything, so I don't understand your "don't consider to be your so called as"? I don't care if people are proud to be Australian or not, or how they celebrate Australia Day. Do what you like, it's your choice.

Everyone seems to have gotten confused by what I said. For that, I apologise.

I don't hold any grudges, nor do I expect anyone to feel guilty. I was simply informing australia09 of what the Aborigines had gone through (albeit without a few details) and offering a view point to explain it better, as it seemed to me like he either didn't care or didn't know. I was not attacking anyone.

Slateman, I'm sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on history, and so I have no idea what you meant when you said "We should blame all Czech ancestors for it"? Also, I'm not calling anyone names or anything, so I don't understand your "don't consider to be your so called as"? I don't care if people are proud to be Australian or not, or how they celebrate Australia Day. Do what you like, it's your choice.

I maybe expressed my self with to much passion.
Sorry to go so hard on your comment.
But we really should not feel guilty for sins of people from the past.

Just enjoy the beautiful live this country offer and specially Today. Today is day to celebrate Australia for all of us. All nationalities and people of all colours. We all have pretty good live here.

Instead of going on the guilt trip, I want to thank to Australia being Australia as is today.

As I said, I don't expect people should feel guilty about it. I, do however, assume that any "good" Australian to acknowledge it and not brush it off as insignificant.

I don't really celebrate Australia Day, It's another day for me really, just that I don't have to go to work and get a public holiday - so I can use this extra day in a constructive manner.

I have been watching the news regarding all of the arguments about what day Australia Day should be held on, as the aboriginals are saying that the 26th is Invasion day. Something that happened over 200 years ago the people of this generation cannot be held responsible for, We did not personally invade Australia and commit all of these horrible offenses. I understand that what our ancestors did was wrong and should have never happened, but we have no control over what happened 200 years ago and cannot be held responsible.

I have something else to add on to this topic, however I am not sure how to word it without offending anyone, so I will just keep my mouth shut!

Just enjoy the beautiful live this country offer and specially Today. Today is day to celebrate Australia for all of us. All nationalities and people of all colours. We all have pretty good live here.

Instead of going on the guilt trip, I want to thank to Australia being Australia as is today.

I understand the point that you are expressing Slatey but, and this is why I support a date change, although this day does have alot to celebrate there is alot to mourn. Many native Australians died from invasion on this day which makes it difficult for Aboriginals to see today in the same positive light that many of us do.

Perhaps if Australia Day was set on a less intensive date ALL of Australia could celebrate whether they be Native, Western, Asian or Arab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back