What does Australia Day mean to you?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does Australia Day mean to you?

• Party Time

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Family Time

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Nothing, except another beautiful day off work

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Chance to reflect on Australias good and bad history

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Celebrate being an Aussie, as its the best country in the WORLD

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • 26th Jan 1788 should never be celebrated, as its Invasion Day

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
English born, but this is mine, and hubby's 21st "birthday" as 'real aussies'!!! We took our oath for citizenship in a ceremony on Australia Day 1988............ 21 years ago!!!!! Happy 'birthday to me.....etc....!! So we have just spent the best part of today with our wonderful family around us, having a barby, few lamb chops, bit of roo in the webber, couple of beers in the esky (not for me, thanks!!) and jsut enjoying this wonderful country I don't see a 'ours', but just the place I k=live, and love, and appreciate so much. A veritable heaven on earth.

Wouldn't have it any other way................ I do acknowledge the way this country was invaded, and if it was today, it would be done in an entirely different way, I'm sure, but I was truly moved last April,. to see Mr Rudd stand and give the most amazing apology I ever heard, he embraced an awful lot of what we had to be sorry for, I was really moved seeing the TRUE original australians that suffered so much at our hands, finally being recognised, finally hearing it from us, just what we did to them, and to hear us say sorry. I say us, because I can remember sitting watching Mr Rudd, wiht tears in my eyes, and in my head, voicing the apologies alongside him.
It was the best day when that happened, but as for this "invasion day", it's not really reconciling as Mr Rudd said we should, it would only stir more anger, I think it shows those demanding it as not yet quite ready to accept that apology, not quite ready to reconcile, put it behind us and get on with life in the diverse community that we do. All it would serve to do would be to create more division and seperatism.

Last edited:
It's a perfect day to watch a chinese made TV and drink german made beer....

My nomination for Aust of the Year goes to the person/people flying along the M1 from the G Coast this afternoon. Jacked up black Dodge Nitro with the Qld 'European' plates and a huge Aussie flag glued to the back...

American-style extravagance, with European style, wrapped in ,ah, Aussie pride.
I love the irony...

Er.. read what I said again, and what it was in response to :p (Eylandt's comment).

January 1 is a silly suggestion, in my humble opinion. That's already a public holiday for a different reason, and is celebrated for a different reason.

Sorry, your comment sounded as if you were in support of us moving and giving up our homes to an aboriginal family.

Here's another spin on things.

If the aboriginals don't want any intervention from the people that invaded their country, why do they accept all the handouts that are given to them? If they don't like what we've done to their country then why don't they go off and live in the bush and live the way their ancestors did years ago. Australia is a big country so it's not as if they couldn't find somewhere to go.

Why can't every person living in Australia be treated the same? Where is my offer of a low interest rate home loan? Where was all the assistance offered to my child when he went through school? Oh that's right, it was all being directed to all the aborginal and T.S.I. children.

I'm not going to apologise for something my ancestors did hundreds of years ago. You have to remember also that a lot of English people had no choice about coming to Australia because they were sent here against their will, away from their home and their families, for petty crimes. Right, I do agree that what the English did when they got here wasn't right, but we've also helped the Aboriginals as well over the years and we've tried to make amends for it.

My own brother is part aboriginal (we were all adopted) and yet he doesn't sit around whinging about how bad his life is. He, like a lot of other Australian's appreciate what they have and make the most of it.

Australia is one of the best countries in the world to live in and our way of life is terrific, except I do think we pander too much to some of the other races that come over here and try and dictate how we should live.

Ive met many people with view points such as yours before...heck, many moons ago I even voted Pauline:oops:.
But one day you learn, lifes so different for everyone.
For some its easy, for some its hard.
We are all individuals with different capacities, hangups, genetics, support, parents, beliefs, abilities etc.
What the Government is doing by providing extra support to disadvantaged people is assisting them to live better lives.
Some people will accept the extra support, some people will not accept it and some people will just abuse the extra support.
We are all individuals and as long as we can accept the individuality in us all, the difference doesnt matter so much.
What is important, is that we can provide for all the people who need it.
And the ones that fall through the cracks by abusing the support....we can whinge about it....or find alternative ways to support them that works.
I choose the later.

It was the best day when that happened, but as for this "invasion day", it's not really reconciling as Mr Rudd said we should, it would only stir more anger, I think it shows those demanding it as not yet quite ready to accept that apology, not quite ready to reconcile, put it behind us and get on with life in the diverse community that we do. All it would serve to do would be to create more division and seperatism.

An apology when given is good, but it doesnt stop their.
When I apologise for something, I take into account the party I am apologising too and usually change what I am doing to upset them.
Australia has apologised.
Now its time to change what is upsetting them.
Otherwise the apology is just words.....

Realistically, its just a bloody day to celebrate being an Australian, what does it matter when it is? If it eases someones suffering by changing it...bring it on I say!

A minority abuse it yes. Not a majority. If you have evidence to suggest otherwise Id love to see it!

Ive lived in places like Darwin where there have been Aboriginals everywhere lvigin happily. Have also lived on the South Coast of NSW and seen "White people" do the exact thing you mentioned.

Its funny that my residential status has bearing on each of your points! I currently live in Bankstown. Was actually born and raised in the area so I do know exactly what you are refering to. That being said, how would you feel if the Quran was read to students at school? Im sure you wouldnt appreciate it. The removal (by choice, not by banning) of Christmas celebrations in some shopping malls is nothing more then them (the company) simply choosing not to impose certain religious celebrations onto other people.

As for the Berka. In what way does it offend you? They arent making you wear one nor are they doing anything to you so for what reason do you have to be offended. Once again its a Religoous based belief. They should tolerate Christmas yet you shouldnt tolerate them in the street? Bit Hypocritical dont you think?

Then why do you celebrate Australia Day? Or ANZAC Day or any other Celebrative day then?

The berka offends me because to me it's a sign of the mistreatment of women. In saying that, I have no problem with them wearing them in their country but I have a big problem with them wearing them in mine. I don't see it as hypocritical at all. If they want to live by their customs and culture then why did they bother to move to Australia in the first place? If I went to their country, I would respect their laws and cultures and I wouldn't do anything to offend them and if that meant wearing a berka then I'd wear one BUT I would never choose to go to one of those countries.

I'm not talking about shopping centres banning Christmas celebrations, I'm talking about pre-schools and primary schools stopping children from celebrating it and believe me, the majority of families didn't just give it up, their right to celebrate Christmas was taken off them to apease a minority base.

I wouldn't go to their country and tell them that they can't celebrate their beliefs so where do they get off telling us we can't celebrate ours. Yes, I would be deeply offended, like most Australians if the Quran was taught at Australian schools. If I wanted to live in a Muslim country and my children be taught Muslim beliefs then I'd move to the Middle East but I choose to live in the country that I was born in.

I don't celebrate Australia Day, nor Anzac day. I simply enjoy the day off. I do however, think of the diggers and give a silent thank you for their sacrifice but I do that many times during the year and not just on Anzac Day. I'm also very thankful for living in such a lovely country, but I've never once done anything on Australia Day and right now I'm at home doing housework.

i was born in australia that is all i know and is all i wish to know, when i travel it is to parts of Oz especially the coastline , i love the australian coastline.. I love living and being in Australia. Really women in Oz are lucky compared to women in other countries!!

The berka offends me because to me it's a sign of the mistreatment of women. In saying that, I have no problem with them wearing them in their country but I have a big problem with them wearing them in mine. I don't see it as hypocritical at all. If they want to live by their customs and culture then why did they bother to move to Australia in the first place? If I went to their country, I would respect their laws and cultures and I wouldn't do anything to offend them and if that meant wearing a berka then I'd wear one BUT I would never choose to go to one of those countries.

I'm not talking about shopping centres banning Christmas celebrations, I'm talking about pre-schools and primary schools stopping children from celebrating it and believe me, the majority of families didn't just give it up, their right to celebrate Christmas was taken off them to apease a minority base.

I wouldn't go to their country and tell them that they can't celebrate their beliefs so where do they get off telling us we can't celebrate ours. Yes, I would be deeply offended, like most Australians if the Quran was taught at Australian schools. If I wanted to live in a Muslim country and my children be taught Muslim beliefs then I'd move to the Middle East but I choose to live in the country that I was born in.

I don't celebrate Australia Day, nor Anzac day. I simply enjoy the day off. I do however, think of the diggers and give a silent thank you for their sacrifice but I do that many times during the year and not just on Anzac Day. I'm also very thankful for living in such a lovely country, but I've never once done anything on Australia Day and right now I'm at home doing housework.

Christmas isnt an Australian Celebration. Its religion based not country. I know full blood Australians that dont celebrate it. Going on your "country of origin religious beliefs" I believe that the Christmas tradition originates from elsewhere, is Christmas good enough for you because you celebrate it? Yet the Berka isnt because you dont? Be sure to PM a list of religious dates that you celebrate and I'll be sure not to celebrate anything but from now on.

The berka offends me because to me it's a sign of the mistreatment of women. In saying that, I have no problem with them wearing them in their country but I have a big problem with them wearing them in mine.
Do ya get the same feeling when you see some one wearing a blue singlet?
You know, the style we call a "wife beater"?

Christmas isnt an Australian Celebration. Its religion based not country. I know full blood Australians that dont celebrate it. Going on your "country of origin religious beliefs" I believe that the Christmas tradition originates from elsewhere, is Christmas good enough for you because you celebrate it? Yet the Berka isnt because you dont? Be sure to PM a list of religious dates that you celebrate and I'll be sure not to celebrate anything but from now on.

You seem to love to put words into my mouth. Where did I ever speak about 'country of origin religious beliefs'? I've said that Muslims have come to Australia and have tried, and often succeeded, in stopping Australians celebrate Christmas, something that we have done for 100's of years.

Yes, I celebrate Christmas and I also give Easter eggs, but I'm actually an athiest. Neither holiday has any religious connection for me. I simply celebrate this time with my family who are religious.

Do ya get the same feeling when you see some one wearing a blue singlet?

You know, the style we call a "wife beater"?

I've never heard it called that.

Must just be called that by all you 'yobbo' Australian blokes. :D

An apology when given is good, but it doesnt stop their.
When I apologise for something, I take into account the party I am apologising too and usually change what I am doing to upset them.
Australia has apologised.
Now its time to change what is upsetting them.
Otherwise the apology is just words.....

Realistically, its just a bloody day to celebrate being an Australian, what does it matter when it is? If it eases someones suffering by changing it...bring it on I say!

I am wholeheartedly with you on the forst point Earthling. but why hijack a day that is already established.......... why not celebrate he anniversary that the apology was made??? Rather than open old wounds, why not celebrate the day that exists that has begun the attempt to put things right. It's not only up to the government to change things, it's up to all of us, but looing at some of the attitudes and thoughts on this thread alone, it's going to be a long haul, and that's sad.

I would have thought using a day to remember the 'invasion' wouldn't help anyones suffering, perhaps as I said, celebrate something positive.

It means i go to work but get paid double time like a sunday, but worse than a sunday because everyone is chilling out and relaxing in some way with their lifeline extra day off. i also miss Perth on this day because it goes off like a rocket.
ren

Yep.
that would be about enough on this topic before somebody say something we all don't like to deal with.
i am closing the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back