What else can you feed pythons besides rats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koula

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just curious, but with a childrens python (spotted python?), I know they take mice while they are young, but when they are adults, what else can you feed them besides rats? Can they just eat more mice, what about day old chicks, or small quails?

I also read somewhere that several small meals is better than one big meal for childrens...

Any suggestions/advice?

PS: Baby rabbits don't exist in my area, and baby/young guinea pigs are not usually available around here. However, mice and quails are easy to get. Are day old bantam chicks safe?

Yep, chicks and quails would been fine i geuss. Good for a bit of variety.
It is probably better if you can offer just one prey item per feed, having to feed a number of mice at a time is a pain in the **** and probably more expensive.

Am i right in saying that the chicks and quails would be captive bred?

Cheers Alex

you may find if you feed quail or day old chicks that the snake may not go back onto rats/mice as a few people on this site have found out but then again they may take whatever offered just food for thought i guess.

This is also a small head syndrome in captive pythons, Probably due to being fed small prey items.
Pythons are built to eat items much larger that they appear capable of.
Friends feed them chicken necks as part of their diet.

I would feed my children's pythons mice for their whole life. Adult mice are about the right size for an adult children's python.

Yes,swiftrat what you read was true, it is far better to feed your pythons, (not just childrens but all oz pythons ), 2-3 smaller items than 1 lager item for a number of reasons,ie easier to digest,less chance of canker etc. Adult childrens will do fine on small birds. Just watch live or fresh killed as mite to birds is like fleas to cats and dogs,and they do carry the odd spp that also use reptiles as a host. Best frozen.
Rob

Yeah, my childrens loves a big feed every now and then.
1.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

Great pics mate...would you be able to get one after he has finished eating?

Cheers Alex

Re: RE: What else can you feed pythons besides rats?

The Rock said:
Yes,swiftrat what you read was true, it is far better to feed your pythons, (not just childrens but all oz pythons ), 2-3 smaller items than 1 lager item for a number of reasons,ie easier to digest,less chance of canker etc. Adult childrens will do fine on small birds. Just watch live or fresh killed as mite to birds is like fleas to cats and dogs,and they do carry the odd spp that also use reptiles as a host. Best frozen.
Rob

If you say so, second bit makes a lot of sense though.

Re: RE: What else can you feed pythons besides rats?

dobermanmick said:
Alan what Size was that chook and where did you get it ?

Id say it was about 1.2kilos or there abouts. And i got a few off a mate that works for a certain poultry farm ;) ;)

Cheers, Alan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back