what has happened to reptiles australia mag

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to remember this is a thread about RA's demise not on how S & T should improve layout and content as for 99% of people who read and subscribe to, myself included are very happy with the product.
Sure any bussiness has area's they can improve to become better but this thread isn't about joy or her team, as stated earlier it's about RA magazine, so lets get back on track.

Last edited:
Yommy, I think the two are inextricably linked. The rise and fall of Reptiles Australia provides lessons for S&T and I think all the criticism has been constructive and valid and will only help strengthen the magazine (if taken in the spirit it's intended) and ensure its longevity in the market.

The demise of reps Australia was all to do with management attitudes , money management and the like

The scales and tails team have a grip on reality and for a magazine that has been out for 2 years odd is going leaps and bounds on what reps aus did in the first two years

I've now had a good read of the last couple of pages, and as I said earlier good constructive criticism is always welcomed and taken note of. Personal opionions are appreciated as well, as everyone is entitled to an opinion, but these are taken for what they are, 'personal opinions'. We know that we have a good grip on where we are going, and this is backed up by our growth. The many emails that I receive from the general public confirm this too.What I would suggest is that if there is a certain subject that you would like to see covered, you need to send us your emails with your suggestions. Don't just talk/whinge about it on a public forum, better still to do something about it yourself. If you keep these species yourself and feel that you have something to offer, then send us your article. Phone us and chat with us about it, send us an email... We're very approachable.

Yes Nick, I did take note of the 'more herping articles', and thanks for your pm. I believe that Troy has already been in touch with you to suggest that you 'put your money where your mouth is' (meant nicely with a smile, not critically), and send us an article about some of your trips every so often. I'm sure our readers would enjoy them.

To dispel a wrong message even before any sort of rumour can start....... Regarding payment of articles: yes we do pay for articles and have had a payment system in place from day one. This payment is either by cash, contra deal for advertising, or product. We have always preferred to use 'Contra deals' with most of our writers and I can assure you that the writers have been better off under the 'Contra deals'. Due to the wrong message that could have been taken in this thread though, we had a management meeting yesterday afternoon and all 'Contra deals' are now gone, effective immediately, so if you have been writing for us under this arrangement, rest assured I'll be chatting with you soon about this. There is no way that we will take a chance on the sort of rumour getting started that we don't pay for articles! It was a huge disappointment for me to read that in this thread.

As has been suggested, this is a thread about Reptiles Australia's demise, not about us. In my opinion their demise was definitely management related. We did our research very well before we launched in September 2008, and we realised that they appeared to be in trouble then. It personally surprised me that they lasted until 2010. Personal opinion!

Don't worry about us. We are going from strength to strength and are always on the lookout for ways to improve.

cheers
Joy

Last edited:
well said Joy -

while i did like the layout of RA and will miss the Mag , i like glossy mags, if thats how hey treat there customers ( ripping off ) they dont deserve our support .

P.S. to my previous post.
I noted that someone had mentioned (as a criticism) that in the last couple of issues we had more 'ads' than usual and they didn't like it. I had a look at that.... Yep more ads...These extra ads were the ones advertising the Expos particularly for the beginning of the year. Same thing happened last year and the same thing will happen next year and the years thereafter. All at no cost (or absolute minimum charge if a larger ad was required) to the Herp Societies involved. That's part of how we help to promote this hobby/industry.

cheers
Joy

Joy,

i'm not reading back through this thread to see who mentioned it, i think Michael, but the idea of advertising at the back four or so pages i think is a great idea.

I often jump on the websites of advertisers in S&T, especially when i see something i like or a new product advertised, but it is a pain having to flick through every page to find that add you wanted.

That would atleast stop the complaining from those who don't want more advertising, and a bit more user friendly for those who do go back and look for certain ads.

Allthough not a reader I'm sure S&T is a wonderfull magazine it has obvious appeal to a large reader base, in the interest of our hobbie I hope it continues along this path.

I made an observation once, I used to live in a small country town. On my side of the street there was a small butcher shop he didn't have the best business sense but he put out a good product so I shopped there. On the otherside was another butcher with great presentation, good advertising, sound business strategy and a good product, but I just never bothered to cross the road because I liked the butcher on my side. Unfortunately less people lived on my side, coupled with the butchers lack of business sense he eventually had to shut shop, so with no where else to go we all crossed the road. Business was booming for the only butcher shop left on the block his business strategy was finally paying of. All us guys from the otherside of the road, allthough we could see why this shop had some success. were a little dissapointed when the butcher refused to listen to our requests for a bit mor variety. Obviously my strategy is working he said for my business is going from strength to strength, all the people from my side of the street felt the same way, we wanted the old style bbq ribs the old butcher sold, so we went out of town looking for them and when we found an alternative a couple of the other customers thought they would give it a try also, suddenly his business started to stagnate but he was just to stubborn to realize that had he listened to the personal opinions and preferances of some of his potential long term customers he may have gained and retained their custom. Instead the shop out of town is lapping up the oppoprtunity, if he is smart he will listen to his customers individual opinions. It could mean the difference between a mediochre shop and a good one, or a good one and a great one, or a great one and a truly outstanding one.

Anyway thats my personal opinion on butcher shops

oh and S&T is a good magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back