What & how fast is the fastest snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Death Adders have the quickest strike, Inland Taipans have the quickest repeated strike and Black Mambas are the fastest moving on land. (if memory serves me right ;) )

One Black Mamba was clocked at 17 klm's per hour over a very short distance of about 30 metres. This makes this species the fastest snake recorded. No way could it keep up with a horse, even at canter speed.

The Inland Taipan would be no where near the fastest striking or repeated striking snake. Overseas tests showed the African Puff Adder was the fastest striking snake tested, but since then the americans have been introduced to our Death Adders. These were found to strike 4 to 6 times faster then the Puff Adders in single or repeated strikes

I find I can always run just a little bit faster than any biting animal that decides to chase me. In the case of a black mamba, I could run about 18kph. At 17kph, the black mamba is certainly the fastest snake and could slither as fast as most people could run (at least normal people).

Yes i think 17km/hr is the fastest for the mamba was on a david attenborough special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back