What is the best gecko to get for a first timer?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newcomer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My name's Emma & I'm new at this. I'm tossing up between a knob-tail & a thick tail gecko as my first one.

Are these the best two? Any other suggestions?

knob tails require less heat but can over heat if kept in a hot place of the house i would suggest knob tails. but geckos are look but dont touch type of critter
cheers

From experience with both I'd go the thickies.
Require little to no heat, seem to tolerate a cage mate with less issues ( in my experience), and seen more often being there not big tunnelers.

Hey Emma.

Wlcome to the site

they are gret geckos i have kept both and i would say thick tails would be a good first timer gecko.

Cheers

Damien

I would go for a Nephrurus levis levis.
They are a very hardy gecko as long as there requirements are met.
As mentioned, these geckos are a look but dont touch animal, love to dig burrows and are also nocturnal.

Marbled Velvet geckos are easy to keep. They have the added advantage of being colourful. They are climbers though and you need a lid on your tank. You can contact John McGrath in Mitcham to see what he has got. If you want his number pm me.

Attachments

• mywacrop2.jpg
    mywacrop2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 128
hi all, thanks so much for all your posts. i'm seeing a guy in williamstown tomorrow about a smooth knob tailed gecko, 2 month old male, selling for $200. is this about right?
also, i have a small heat pad under the enclosure, what temperature is right for a knob tail? i think i read somewhere around 28degrees?
thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back