What is the deal with red globes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deb64 said:
Just out of interest sake... they say reptiles cant see red light.. have you ever tried shining a heat gun in your enclosure at night.. i have had dragons chasing the lil red dot all over the enc and pythons have reacted to the dot coming near them...

Yeah I noticed that too, shine the dot onto the lizards foot to see it try to eat its own foot :twisted: :lol:
I think the idea of the coloured lights isn't that they can't see it at all but that its not as bright so it simulates moonlight, the wild is rarely pitch black at night either remember (except in caves, burrows, etc).

yes i normally use a heat cord but i just noticed that he still looked a bit cold.

I guess the light was more of a treat.

But good to hear from you again wrasse

base I started with a Blonde Maccie and had her in a chinese container and as she grew i changed container. For a period of about 12 months she went from container to container and the only source of heat was a heat mat unless we took hjer out side on the grass in the sun. Experiment with the mat under only half of the container and use a thermometer and check temps on a reg basis from one end of the enc to the other until you find a heat gradient from 32 to 28. Now she is 18 months old and in her final enc heated with ceramic heat and a blue or red buld depending what I have at the time set on a timer from 6pm till 1 am so the family can watch her when she comes out to hunt or heat up more. Also in the container screw in a piece of dowl wood for him/her to climb over for excerise. people say they are ground dwelling, I have a 3 pronged gum branch and mine loves climboing all over it.
She usuall sits in the fork and waits for me to feed her. like gripping to the side of a cave waiting for a bat or something.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Frank

I never use any kind of light bulbs for night time heat, only heat mats or heat cord or no extra heat at all. Having any sort of lights at night isn't going to be beneficial to the animals.

Yeah the ideal temp to have in your tank is from 32-28 (depends where your thermostat is), as long as you have an area of the tank ~28 degrees you should be fine, (that's for carpet pythons anyway). If they have warm areas of the tank and cool areas it gives them a gradient across the tank to move from warm to cool or whatever they feel like.

i normally just turn my lights off over the night (Dad never installed a timer switch when he built the tank for me :cry: ). But i live in Ballarat now and the nights are getting DAMN cold, so i just use the 60W blue globe overnight (I use a 100W clear one during the day), so she doesn't get too cold... the blue one is fairly dull but puts out some heat (and cos it was a reptile light i think it puts out a little UV too)., but it would at least be less harsh on their eyes. Think about it... if you couldn't close your eyes to sleep, wouldn't a 24hr light get a little annoying?
With my setup i have a 2ft flourescent reptile light for UV (it puts out UVA + UVB) to replace the natural sunlight, and i have a 100W lightglobe (regular everyday globe) for heat. at night i usually turn it off for her, but through the winter i'm replacing the daily globe with a 60W black light for a little extra warmth and because it is less harsh on your eyes than the regular light globe.

Hally said:
hey one other question! so wats the differance between reb and purple/blue globes???

I have one red and two blue globes in my beardy enclosure. My local pet store/reptile guy has said they both are used only to provide heat, and that the flauro light is to provide UV. Does anythone agree/disagree on this matter :?: [/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back