What is the definition of a calico BHP?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andynic07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
As the title states , I am after a definition of what makes a calico BHP. The reason that I ask is because I have seen a picture on facebook of a BHP that the owner claims to be a calico and to me it does not look like the other calico BHP's that I have seen but it made me wonder what the definition is and who made the definition?

can you put up a pic of this bhp?
I do not own the BHP or know the person so I am not able to post the picture sorry. Also if I posted a picture it would guide the discussion and people will comment on it rather than getting people to post what they think.

Cheers
Andy

The animal basically changes colour over a period of sloughs to a lighter base colour. Some look very different to others, there seems to be many variations to this morph & little is truly known about it yet.

ok, if it doesn't look like the other calicos then it's not a calico.

This quote is taken from Den Pythons website. If anyone knows BHPs it's probably him. I hope this helps:

"[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]All "Calico" BHP hatchlings emerge from the egg with fairly normal colouration, around the age of sexual maturity (or older in some cases) they shed out their dark colouration replacing dark blotches with white, pink & apricot patches. In some cases the patches of lost pigment are small, in others the majority of the pythons body colour is transformed.[/FONT][/FONT]"

Not heard of the change taking place in any animals under 5 or 6 years old.
I have 2 now that are starting the change both in this age group.

Not heard of the change taking place in any animals under 5 or 6 years old.
I have 2 now that are starting the change both in this age group.

Apparently their white girl changed at two. Most are around 5 though from what I've heard.

This quote is taken from Den Pythons website. If anyone knows BHPs it's probably him. I hope this helps:

"All "Calico" BHP hatchlings emerge from the egg with fairly normal colouration, around the age of sexual maturity (or older in some cases) they shed out their dark colouration replacing dark blotches with white, pink & apricot patches. In some cases the patches of lost pigment are small, in others the majority of the pythons body colour is transformed."
This is how I originally saw calico's apart from the age part but recently have seen "calico's" that lighten up rather than turn pink/apricot. I have also heard someone attribute the change to conditions rather than it being hereditary because the person has a few of his BHP's turning calico and they apparently are from different cluches with no known calico genes.

I may know the person your talking about if you want to see pic's go join black headed python lovers on facebook.

my male is 8years and only started changing but I don't think he is calico hmmm he is getting blotchy white down his back and his markings are turning blue

my male is 8years and only started changing but I don't think he is calico hmmm he is getting blotchy white down his back and his markings are turning blue

Thats just a tease without a photo, any chance you can post up a pic please?

Aaron

pic of him before the change a friend was holding him taken last year.
mizery.jpg

there's not much of the blue going on yet so I'll show a photo when he was in with the girl this year when I first noticed the change
2013-07-10_23-00-36_382.jpg
he's just shed in this pic and appears a lot lighter..
DSCF8552.JPG

Last edited:
Few pics of the female here when she changed colour years back,tends to be in constant change with the time of year either gaining or losing black pigmentation.

there's not much of the blue going on yet so I'll show a photo when he was in with the girl this year when I first noticed the change

Interesting. Thanks for putting up the pics.
Does it appear to be more during the breeding season than other times as in a hormonal change?

Aaron

is it normal in NT's to change colour around 7 years? does he look like a normal NT or something else going on? I don't know its interesting maybe its like us when we get old we age and go grey ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back