what is this eastern water dragon doing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceilsmate

Reaction score
I have had an Eastern Water Dragon in my back yard for a couple of years and have watched him grow from a baby. I have seen a female here once and just saw another baby a few weeks ago. My ' big boy ' is behaving rather strange now. He is spending nearly all day behind painting just outside my kitchen window

As weather gets cooler he is there more often and doesn't seem to mind the kids and I lifting the painting and peering at him a lot. He has been there for at least the last 24 - 48 hours
What is he doing?

Attachments

• IMAG1041.jpg
    IMAG1041.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I thought so Thanks! Should we stop lifting the painting
It doesn't seem to be safest place for brumation but he can leave if he wants to.

Probably not a bad spot if he's safe from interference from people & animals. Water dragons can operate at cooler temps than many lizards, so that spot may well be warm on sunny winter days and allow him to come out & bask. Many herps that live in & around water a lot of the time bask in winter sun - red bellies, tigers, pythons and dragons can all get a couple of hours of sun on a winter morning or arvo...

Jamie

Sorry for all the questions but have never had reptiles before...
As far as I can tell the only/closest water around here is a pool in the back neighbors yard and at creek/drain about 10 houses up from my place? he doesn't seem to leave the yard though. Don't they need water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back