what is this spider??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

australia09

Reaction score
ok so this spider was in my back yard out near the garden, i think its an arid sort of tarantula as its not at damp grounds ect like rainforest tarantulas. ive got photos and if you need more specific photos ill try to supply.
DSCF1616.jpg
DSCF1617.jpg
DSCF1618.jpg
DSCF1619.jpg
DSCF1620.jpg
DSCF1621.jpg
DSCF1622.jpg

Not a tarantula or any other sort of megalomorph. I'd guess it's a wolfspider of some sort as well.

Its definitely not a wolf spider ^_^ its something along the lines of the trapdoors and mouse spiders. Very interesting looking, I will check up and narrow it down for you.

I would say it belongs to the family Lycosa, one of the families known commonly as Wolf Spiders, this genus is extremely common in Australia, and often incorrectly called trap doors as they build a burrow with a "trapdoor", a plug that can be made from twigs, rocks, sand ect. In some areas these spiders are every few meters at night, and in such areas you usually can find good numbers of Pygopus feeding on them. Here is a photo of a burrow, now you see me, now you don't!.

Attachments

• Wolf Spider Burrow.jpg
    Wolf Spider Burrow.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 76
  • Wolf Spider Burrow 1.jpg
    Wolf Spider Burrow 1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 72
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back