What is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyro

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I spotted this insect running across my drive-way a couple of days ago & was wondering if any of you bug people can tell me what it is.It ran really fast with it's bum in the air, which is why I spotted it & as you can see it was really brightly green/blue coloured.I thought at first it was an ant, then maybe a hornet but I wouldn't have a clue really:lol:Any ideas?Sorry about the terrible pics, this thing was so quick:shock::lol:

Attachments

• tn_DSCF1152.JPG
    tn_DSCF1152.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 108
  • tn_DSCF1153.JPG
    tn_DSCF1153.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 89
  • tn_DSCF1156.JPG
    tn_DSCF1156.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 73
  • tn_DSCF1157.JPG
    tn_DSCF1157.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 158
Looks waspish to me

Attachments

• tiphiidae_female_bh.jpg
    tiphiidae_female_bh.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 71
yup, thats a wingless wasp as the others have said. I recent purchased the "life in the undergrowth" series and some quite interesting bits on wasps on it.

wasps are nuts, the desert wasps that kill spiders are my favorite, they are uber fast too

Its not a wasp, its actually an ant,
I stood on one once and it stung worse than a bull-ant.
i found out later that it is a blue ant, diamma bicolor, but i call them metalic blue ants.

Last edited:
lol ya they are often thought to be ants but there are a few species of wasps that are wingless, hence the confusion. generally they are alot faster then ants and are generally solo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back