Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foes007

Reaction score
new to the whole snake thing .
found this outside our driveway in nerang ,gc.
didnt seem to be alive ,had ants crawling al ova it .
came back an hour lata and it was gone .

would be nice to know if its sumthing to stay away from

thanks in advance

Attachments

• random snake outside house.jpg
    random snake outside house.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 298
No, looks more like a Keelback to me, Tropidonophis mairii. Harmless.

I'm not sure but I would stay away from it, better to be safe than sorry right?

<o> Chris

It's most certainly not a Tiger Snake (if it was a Gold Coast Tiger it'd be very exciting!). It's a Keelback, quite harmless.

This is exactly the problem in these situations we have a common harmless snake being DEFINITELY identified as a highly venomous snake which could get it killed. I suggest if people don't know for sure then they are best advised to say nothing.

it's a keelback. for a new person into snakes it would be best to stay away from them anyway as it's often hard for new comers to tell the difference from a keelback to a rough scale.

This is exactly the problem in these situations we have a common harmless snake being DEFINITELY identified as a highly venomous snake which could get it killed. I suggest if people don't know for sure then they are best advised to say nothing.

spot on boa, if you dont know your snakes that well dont say anything

I've mis-identified keelbacks before ( they are all still alive though) in half light they can be a very difficult snake to identify.

Well its definatly not a TIGER by apperance & location.... however Its most likley a KEELBACK...But as YOMMY said without a count its hard to say for sure.. If anyone has caught both species in the GC area they would know there is enough variation between the two species to be sumwhat confusing without a closeer inspection..

It is a deceased Keelback, They are a solid toothed non venomous colubrid.

As Boa said unless you know 100% I might be wise to stay out of it.....if you need to look at a book then don't post

Cheers,
Scott

Where in australia did you see it North Aust its a keelback , southern aust its a tiger ( Iknow tigers can vary colours)

Keelback I see at least 30 of these everytime I go out herping

Not strictly true, Tiger snakes are certainly found in the general Brisbane area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back