What lighting for frog enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaide03

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can someone please let me know what lighting will I need to use for a frog enclosure?

We have Litoria Caerulea, Northern Green Tree Frogs.

We use a UV light over their tank (it shines through a mesh top). I can't think of the name of the batten and globe at the moment, will post them when I can find it.

What frogs are you getting/have you got?

Do you have any problems from not using any lighting and does anyone else use a heater to heat the water in the enclosure?

I have a heater in our water.

All the caresheets I have read say you should have at least light.

AussieSnakeLover- does a lot of sun penetrate your frog enclosure?

biorhhythms of frogs are affected by daily duration of light, so it is important for terrarium to receive light during the day. frogs rest during the day and know to become active as the sun goes down.make sure u have lots of ventilation and use the best quality artificial light ucan afford. good luck

they were in a spot for 2 years with no light at all really and now they get arvo sun where they are now, i know a few people that dont give frogs any light at all, mine are doing fine!!

i also have kept fat healthy frogs in a tank for 6 yesrs without artificial light .these ones ,however are in my lounge room which has an abundanceof light from large windows and skylights. if you dont have enough natural light where your frogs are kept i think it is best to have a u v light.

a LITTLE uv is all they need, they don't need heaps of UV, and just leave them at room temp year round. preferably sit them under a window that gets a little of the morning sun, i can't stress enough how quickly frogs die when exposed to too much heat.

if you cant give them a little exposure to the morning sun, use a 60 watt spot no closer than one foot from the tank, just to give off some gentle heat, for up to 4 hours of a morning. use a uv fluro (not a mercury vapour lamp) at a foot from the encloure also, as too much UVB discolours the animals, and damages their eyes.

How would you heat the water, if say, I use a large reptile water dish, which is quite shallow? How are people setting up their tanks and with what product?

apart from breeding season, i dont even give them water, we use paper towl in the bottom of their tank, and saturate the tank with a mister twice to three times daily, the paper towl in usually a mm or two underwater, that way, the frogs drink the droplets of water througout the tank, and the crix don't drown. the paper is changed and tank cleaned twice a week. we use a plastic broad leafed aquarium plant in the enclosures so the frogs have platforms to chill on, and the beads of water of sit in the folage. this keeps the humidity up, frogs moist and everyones happy.

fake. easy to clean and no dirt.

everyone has a different way to run their frogs, i just get the best ease and success for me this way.

Does any one use a uv bulb instead of the fluro tube?

I have green tree frogs ( one I have had for 15 years) have never heated them or given them UV, Also have and bred, red eyes, they will need a little warmth but still no UV but do need regular misting. I have green tree frogs from Nothern Australia, east coast and western NSW. They do quite well in very cold condtions, they wont eat but loose no condition, In warmth they will eat heaps of course and be fine but be carefull of in between temp ( around 18-20 Deg.) as this can cause them to stop eating and loose weight. But in general I have found Green Tree Frogs to be bullet proof as adults, raising small ones is a little different, you need to feed them as much as possible, otherwise they callcium problems and deformities.

So you're saying we could have gotten away without paying $100+ for the batten and fluoro?
GGRRRRR.

We have water in the tank, and keep it warm with an aquarium heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back