What lighting for frog enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in perth, so very rare that inside my house it drops below 18 degrees. Do you think that will be warm enough to keep then warm? Do your frogs every get sunlight JasonL?

AntaresiaLady how have you got your tank set up?

We have a 'Lee's Herp Habitat' with our two frogs in it at the moment.

We want to get a new tank for them, as there is no where near enough space for them. I'm a bit annoyed about it really- if we'd been given better information, I wouldn't have bought it for them. I know more about snakes than frogs- so unfortunately we got burned. $85 or so for a useless tank. The top is buggered already- we've only had it three months. Its had no weight on it, its just warped and come out of the frame. Shoddy build design.

I'm tempted to call the people we got it from and tell them. Its very frustrating.

Once we have a better enclosure, we'll post pics of it.

I have just ordered a custom made glass tank (I also bought my reptile tank off them) which cost me $55 with no lid because I make the rest myself, but now I am unsure about the lighting and heating. I was looking into buying a zoo-med lamp stand but it looks like that is going to be too expensive. I was not going to bother heating the water as I figured the water will warm any way it you keep the tank at a certain temp with the UV lighting. Do you switch off all your lighting during the night. What type of fluros do you use and were do you get them from?

My frogs get no sunlight, they are inside in a glass tank. I did put them outside last year to try to breed them (Red eyes are easy, Greens not so. they spawned but infertile) but that was the first time in their lives, the key to them is they love food, once they have a nice fat reserve you can back the food off and just monitor their dody weight, But of course if you go to a pet shop they will tell you you need a UV light!

Any insect that moves. but they will eat anything from smaller frogs (that was a hard lessen) to pinky and fuzzy mice (not to many of these as the amount of protein in them isn't to good for them long term) I have fed them harsher meals such as spiders and wood crickets, they will try to eat anything!

No, but it is just a glass tank, a fake rock backing, a few vines and sticks, a hollow log to hide in and a bowl of water. It has a glass floor with a couple of large riverstones. This way it is easy to clean once a week. I used to have them set in a four foot tank with filtered water and live plants, but I am trying to breed them now and you have to treat them a bit differently to do that.

hi ive attatched some pics of my frog cage, its a 45cm2 exo-terra, it has large pebble's and slate on the bottom with water about 15cm high, i have a peice of drifwood in the back that they can climb, and a lucky bamboo tree, they are really good to put in there because on need to be held upright and have plenty of water DONT NEED DIRT, i have a $15 dollar pump from Big W in there and it works really well and has heaps of different ways it can be set-up,
im looking to get fake vines to cover half the back wall because it a bit plain, i took the fake exo-terra backing out because the roaches etc kept hiding behind it and eating it and when you clean the paint come off, so thats gone

below ive attetched pic of 2 of the 6 frogs kept in it, the brightest and darkess at the time, to show you, they all change between these 2 colours all the time

ImgFree.net - Hosting Images

HOPE THAT HELPS

Can any one recommend a uv globe and where did you get it from?

Jaide03 said:
Can any one recommend a uv globe and where did you get it from?

Most aquarium shops stock uv tubes. Brands such as repti-glow (or repti-star?) come in different strengths of uv output. They are usually numbered 2, 5, 8 and 10 (10 being the strongest in regard to uv). I use NEC blacklights for my turtles as they are better than the above mentioned. Having said that Frogs dont require the uv levels of turts so If it is indeed required, I would be going for the lower grade tubes. UV tubes should be replaced every 6 months as well.
I havent kept frogs for many years but I never had uv lights when I did.

bunnings is starting to stock tubes for aquariums, has anyone used them and to they supply enough uv for frogs? The guy at bunnings said they are fine to use in reptile etc enclosures but I have my doubts.

do you leave the UV light on during the day and switch it off at night?

You switch your light off at night.

AussieSnakelover- you've given me some ideas with your enclosure....awesome.

Anyone have any suggestions on suitable silicone in a frog enclosure? I want to put in a glass partition, and it needs to be siliconed in.

For silicone make sure it has aquarium safe written on the tube not many do, also make sure it cures properly.

I knew it had to be aquarium safe, but I wondered if anyone had any they recommend especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back