what lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

123lachlan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
what is a good lizard for a beginer that can be kept in a 40cmLx35Dx35T enclosure has uv light and heat mat

you could keep a baby bearded dragon in there for a little bit or get a gecko from the levis group and then you dont need the light

do you need a licence for them in vic and what size enclosure would the bearded dragon need as an adult?

do you need a licence for them in vic and what size enclosure would the bearded dragon need as an adult?
In every state in Australia you need a lisence, just some states are more strict then others. If you want your bearded to be living in a tank that suits it needs a 4 foot long by 2.5 wide by 2.5 tall. That's what would be suitable and I wouldn't go any smaller then this. No matter what you see or hear from other people, anything smaller then this would be what I classify as a "tub"

In every state in Australia you need a lisence, just some states are more strict then others. If you want your bearded to be living in a tank that suits it needs a 4 foot long by 2.5 wide by 2.5 tall. That's what would be suitable and I wouldn't go any smaller then this. No matter what you see or hear from other people, anything smaller then this would be what I classify as a "tub"

+1

Thanks for everyone's help for the bearded dragon can you use the heat mat on its own without a heat light

Thanks for everyone's help for the bearded dragon can you use the heat mat on its own without a heat light

Definitely not Lachlan. Most important thing for beardies is heat + UVB. They need a basking spot of around 40c and UVB from a fluro tube or bulb. UVB is very important to prevent metabolic bone disease and other ailments. They NEED the heat to digest their food properly.

Also a cage that size would be too small VERY quickly as beardies grow like monsters in the first year. I would suggest a gecko such as a thick tailed gecko or knob tailed gecko. These chill on the ground and have far less needs than a beardie. These geckos just need a heatmat, hides, and some sand for them to burrow in. One of these geckos could live in the tank you have permanently :)

Before buying a beardie or gecko or any lizard for that matter, please do a quick google for some care sheets. Google "bearded dragon care sheet" or search that on this forum. Heaps of info about as beardies are very popular. Make sure you read multiple care sheets to confirm what is needed. If you have any questions after that, make sure you ask everyone here.

You cant go wrong with beardies, they are a personal fav! just awesome little creatures. So if you go the beardie direction, buy or make a bigger enclosure and make sure your heat + uvb is setup and all good to go before your bring your little one home :)

Good luck brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back