Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakehunter

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a monitor for an outside pit in western sydney, what are my options lacey, sandy and heath?
thanks

Basically you just answered your own question :)

Lacey would be my first choice but they get big...so still not sure if I will get one. How far should I have some sort of barrier sunk into the ground to prevent digging out? Are they an animal that may like to sit in a pond on a hot day or would a large water bowl do?

Snakehunter,
You really have a few choices on what to keep outdoors, it just depends on how much you want to spend on the enclosure, and how large you're able to make it. The species I'd suggest you can keep outside are the following, with recommendations on particular requirements each species will have.

Lace Monitor Varanus varius
These guys are big animals and need a large, sturdy enclosure. For an adult pair you're looking at minimum of 4m x 4m groud area, and about 2m high at least so they can climb, which they love to do. While they shouldn't require any supplemental heating, you will need to provide an enclosed area that is always dry and out of the wind, etc where the animals can take refuge. I would recommend though putting a heating device in there because I'd assume you'd get quite low temps out there during winter. This would only need to warm the "hotbox"/dry area to about 20-25 degrees. Lots of climbing trees should be provided, and they will sit in a large pond for short periods during hot summer days.

Sand Monitor Varanus goudlii
These guys are smaller than Lace Monitors and as such can be kept in smaller enclosures. About 2m x 2m but preferably larger with large gouldii. A good deep sandy substrate will serve the animals well as they love to dig, and this aids shedding also. These monitors will need supplemental heating and an enclosed area that is always dry and free from the temperature extremes. They will do well in an aviary type enclosure, but have a border of solid material around the bottom (like a kickboard almost) so they do not rub their faces away on the wire (which they will do).

Heath Monitor Varanus rosenbergi
These are great monitors, but very rare. Every that applies to the Lace Monitor applies here, although they are smaller, so just adjust the size of the enclosure. Also, they will dig more than climb.

Mertens Water Monitor Varanus mertensi
These are fantastic monitors, possibly my favourite I've kept. I keep a pair outside in Newcastle weather and with a few simple things provided, they have thrived. These animals must have a heated pond. Temperature should be set to 25/26 degrees. During summer this heating becomes less of a concern. I use a Stainless Steel Aqua One 300watt heater, inside a PVC tube wtih holes drilled so the monitors cannot come in contact with the heater. I use a black semi-circle pond, as can be purchased in the garden section of Bunnings. This seems a perfect size for the heater to work, them to bathe and me to clean. They will also require a hotbox all winter. They love to climb, and I use a mixture of Pine-Bark chip and woodchip as a substrate, which enables them to shed easily and looks great.

With all of these species, I would recommened enclosures with cage tops, not open pits. Simply because monitors are damn clever and escape easily, also it deletes the risk of feral animals (including the human kind) getting into the enclosure.

All enclosures should have a floor, be it mesh or concrete or otherwise. This floor should be able to drain well. I would not recommened any sharp wire (such as aviary wire) as the flooring for monitors that dig, particularly Sand Monitors as they will literally dig until their claws are gone.

Look into the diets of the animals you want and see what you can afford. Monitors generally do best when they are left alone, particularly in an outside environment. I found that the look-don't-touch method of keeping is quite successful. Others have success in handling but it depends on each animal and also the time you have available. Sometimes it depends on how much skin you have available ;-)

Of the four monitors above, the Sand Monitor is the only Class 1 reptile in NSW, to keep any of the others you will need a Class 2 licence.

Simon Archibald

Yes, they are an animal that may like to sit in a pond on a hot day; I know mine do anyway.

If your thinking of Lacies, I reckon aviary-style enclosures are better than open pits because they sometimes leap about and you can effectively increase the available, usable area without having so much ground area as they climb the walls and across the ceiling. IMO males tend not to dig whereas females often do, so I simply lay 25mm weldmesh sheeting on the ground under the aviary and provide a large plastic "shell" full of sand for digging. Saves you the trouble of having to dig a barrier!

Works for me anyway!!

Cheers,

Varanus.

Simon, firstly thanks for all that info!
I live on acerage so space is not really an issue. I have a mate that supplies me with all the young chickens that I need, would these be a suitable staple diet with other items thrown in every now and then? If I was to go ahead with a lacey I would probably start with just one, at least until I had some experience with lizards larger than a water dragon :)

Snakehunter,
I certainly would not use chickens as a staple diet. Sure they could be used to supplement the diet, but they easily cause the goannas poo to become oily/runny and don't contain everything required for the animals. I feed adult mice, rats, chicken necks, day-old chicks, quail and other meats when available such as kangaroo and rabbit. The diet should be made up most of whole animals so the monitors are getting all the roughage, and other bits they need, and I'd say that maybe once in every 4 or 5 feeds I feed day-old chicks.

For the Mertens I also feed mostly fish and seafood items as they would eat in the wild.

Simon Archibald

Varanus, I have access to a trencher (like a tractor, that cuts a channel for laying pipes/ cables), so a sunken wall would not be a problem. I would rather do this than have wire on the bottom so I can grow shrubs in there. i would also prefer open top for cost reasons but will consider your suggestions. thanks.

Sorry to sidetrack guys, but I was wondering how Heath Monitors compare to Sandies in terms of housing, temperment, etc.

Cheers,

Varanus.

Simon is there any reason you didnt suggest spencers monitors?

BTW, remember to consider theft and potential predators in an open top enclosure! You shouldn't need to go down more than 1 metre for any of these species if your considering a pit. Also, I grow grasses in the plastic "shells" and my female Lacy always digs them out, roots and all! Interesting to watch though as it keeps her busy for hours!!

Cheers,

Varanus.

Cris,
No mate, there are a couple I left out...Spencers, Mangroves, Yellow Spotteds...could all be adequately housed outdoors, with adjustments in the enclosures...I was in a hurry at the time though :)

Simon Archibald

Snakehunter,
V.tristis are a smaller species, and yeah I'd say you could keep them outside. They'd need a hotbox that maintained temperatures well, and this would need to be dry at all times for them to get out of the weather if they needed. A smaller enlosure would suit, I'm currently going through lots of design ideas myself, mainly around a 90cm x 90cm base, with varying ways to accomplish the environment they'd need.

If I do happen to make it, which is not a certainty yet, I'll upload pics. Don't hold your breath for a month or two though...

Simon Archibald

Cheers mate, have seen some nice tristis around and their size is more to my liking. Keep me posted

That's where I can't help you mate...if I see any pairs for sale I'm likely to buy them ;-)

On the topic of trisis, I would recommend you only house healthy adults that are in good condition outside in your area. If they become too stressed or stop eating for periods at a time, bring them into an indoor enclosure and turn the heat up...

Simon Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back